Skip to main content

My five word response

  When I woke up from my nap today, my heart was beating super fast. I couldn't tell if it was from the lack of sleep, the 2 very boozy drinks I had earlier in the day, or the fact that my paradigm had shifted. Okay, more than a shift...a complete unearthing of a new reality.
  We left for New Jersey just 2, long days back. J had just gotten off of work, and by 8am we were on our way. His mother and I were gracious enough to let him sleep to counteract the sleepiness that comes with a 13 hour work day. So, we talked...about a lot. Not just her handsome and loving son in the back but about everything.
  Granted, a lot had to do with him. I mean he and I have been dating for almost 8 months. When he woke, I jokingly made the comment that with all the stories that I had heard about him, I wasn't sure if I wanted to still have him as my boyfriend by the end of the trip. Call it cold, call it mean...but it was all in jest. He played along well.
  Almost to the moment, 48 hours later, he would no longer have a girlfriend. He would have a fiancé...me. Fuck.
  I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I have been running to and from that very word since I decided I could actually marry this guy. I have told countless people about our imaginary pending nuptials. I asked my father to pick out some music for crissake. It was going to happen...but maybe to me it was still all imaginary. Until he walked me across that bridge, until he spun me around and said he had to ask me something, until he got down on one knee and said, "Aly, will you marry me?", until he knelt there grinning like a deaf man hears...it was still imaginary.
  My imaginative thoughts of being engaged had become an instantaneous reality. And I was fucking lost. I didn't hesitate, I just didn't know how to digest my surroundings. This was real, and this very loving man was waiting for an answer.
  My internal thoughts: "Wait. Is this. Is this actually happening right now? He's waiting. He is waiting for me to say something. Fuck. I can't remember. Do I want this? Does he know what this means? Is he certain that our lives can be intertwined for as long as we both...fuck. Okay. Calm."
  What I said: "Wait. Are you serious right now? Hold up. I know what I am supposed to say. I have been practicing. **Yes, I will marry you.**"
  My body was shaking, my mind was reeling, I needed a smoke. I needed a drink. I needed to sit down. I sat. I smoked. I called my mom and dad. I listened to her happiness and tears and knew they were direct reflections of my own feelings. I was happy. I am happy. My imperfect man decided to take a lifetime chance on me, a perfectly imperfect, poor excuse for a girlfriend and make me his fiance. And since he told me there was no engagement's remorse ;-) (I have to give him a hard time) it will take me some time to adjust to my new reality. Like I told him when he asked me a few days back if I was ready to be engaged and married, "If I wait till I am ready, I will never be ready."
  I ask your prayers for me and him as we set out on a new (but same however slightly different) path. Pray that we might encounter Christ at every turn, and continue our journey together in gracious humility. Be blessed friends as I am truly blessed.
  HOLY CRAP-A-DUCK! I'M FREAKING ENGAGED!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

A human mirror

  I look at myself, a lot. I think it has something to do with the fact that I didn't think myself attractive for a long time. Now, I can look at myself even when someone else is in the bathroom. Before, I entered with head bowed and left the same. There are times when I look at myself 3 times before I leave. Most of the time, I focus on one aspect of myself: my eyes, my hair, my waist line, my clothes...something. I can see how this seems egotistical, but perhaps I am making up for lost mirror time.   However, I can only remember one time that I actually looked into the mirror to see something deeper than my outward appearance. And it scared me. I honestly didn't think it was possible to look into the mirror and truly see oneself. It always seemed so cliché. Until I did it.   That was 4 months ago. The moment I decided to walk away from a "relationship" that was nothing more than a confusing drag. It held me bound and clipped the wings I knew God had given me to f...

It's the underlying peace...

For some reason, dating my first boyfriend was hard. I was 21; he was 18. We were together for maybe 2 months. I am even reluctant to call him my boyfriend. Classic story of he wanted me; I was bored...voila. And not too long before I broke it off, I found myself in the sacristy talking to my then pastor. I was confused and hurt. I honestly can't even remember why. But he changed me that day.   He told me this: when he was discerning the priesthood two weeks prior to ordination, he struggled. He struggled so much he was beginning to believe his choice of vocation was wrong. His spiritual director at the time told him to pray. He told him to spend one solid week praying as though he was going to leave formation. Leaning all prayer toward that thought. Then, he told him to pray the next solid week as though he was going to stay and become the priest that he believed, at one point, he was supposed to be.   And as he prayed, he struggled. His mind wanted to wander and his desire...