Skip to main content

Our year of 3

Bee,
  I am usually one for so many words that I can't stop, but this time around, I have but few. What to say? What to say that I haven't already whispered while you slept soundly next to me? What to say when looking at you brings up too many emotions that words couldn't even begin to express them? What to say to you that I haven't begged you to memorize in fear that one day I would forget? 
  Thus, I love you.
  I heard it once said, "A best friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." This year has proven to be a lot of silent moments strung together because the song in our heart was desperately void of words. You, my best friend, have given me nothing but the utmost love, and have sang to my heart in ways I didn't know possible.
  The amount of pain we have endured this year...these last few years...has been nothing short of life altering. We have watched life ebb away from us in a way that has left us raw and searching for a high point in any and all circumstances...and rarely finding it but eventually finding each other. 
  Thus, I love you. 
  When so many times I say the hurtful things, I love you. When I so hopelessly fail to live up to the wife I should be, I love you. When I place walls around my heart that you have to so often tear down, I love you. When I shy away from your touch because I am struggling with my own internal demons, I love you. I love you and I will always love you. 
  Today is our 3rd year anniversary. 3 years from when you stood before our friends and family and claimed that you would love me for all of your life...and for all of mine. I still don't think I am ready to walk down that isle. 3 years later and I still find the idea of marriage daunting and scary. But you seem to make it all calm down. 
 To this day, I still remember you asking if I was ready for you...for us. I said no. I said I would never be ready. But, I am learning. A few months back you asked again if I was ready for him...for our family. I said no. I said I would never be ready. But, I am willing to learn.
  God has granted you and I the most precious miracle. I have prayed and I have pleaded for so long that it seems all so dreamlike. That in an instant...it could be over. And I know that you listen to my thoughts and worries and fears and you counteract them with your excitement and love and desire to be his father.       Please know that I am excited too. I am just hesitant. For so long, all we have known was pain and suffering with little moments of happiness. Please know that I am excited to bring into this world our 1st to make our family 3. This is our year of 3s. You. Me. Our son. 
  God's timing certainly has never proven to be mine. Perhaps all the waiting for him and the let down that he hasn't arrived yet, was just the time we needed to be as strong as the leather that represents our 3rd year. We have spent the last 3 years getting to know the way our hearts beat together when we touch. We have spent the last 3 years getting to know the way our anger subsides with just a look. We have spent the last 3 years getting to know the way our laughter intertwines with the other. So, we can now bring our son into a home with 2 people that know the true inner-workings of each other. No, my timing is certainly not God's...and for that I am thankful. 
  We are ready, or we will be....with each other...we will be. This year, which has been one of the worst, will be one of our greatest. I am so excited to embark on this journey with you. Here is to another 3...30...300...years by your side. 

       All my love,
                Aly
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...