Skip to main content

13 Going on 40 on his 41st Birthday

   I often wonder why, after almost 11 years, I post inevitably 2 times a year...without fail. Will I ever not? His birthday and his death day. And perhaps because those 2 days are and will always be very important to me. The day God gave him breath and when He took it away.
  However, this year is slightly different. This year when we raise our glasses to toast his birthday we will toast the coming of his new niece or nephew. 
  *sigh* Here we are...the beginning of our second trimester of our second child, and I am still doing all I can to drum up my excitement and glorious anticipation. I've spent the last 8 weeks dreading the concept of 2 under 2, the bringing back of the bottles, the months of sleepless nights, and all the awful things that come with a newborn. And I am overwhelmed. 
  But, I also have spent the last 2 months looking at my son and knowing that as madly in love as I am with this kid, I will grow to be just as madly in love with the next. A strange and foreign concept to be able to love another as much as I love Owen...but I know it is inevitable. 
  So, as I celebrate today the birth of my brother, I know that to gift our son with a sibling is such a wonderful thing. As hard as I know it will be for me and as much as I anticipate the difficulty, I know that the love they will *fingers crossed* share for each other is worth it all.
  My brother was my world. To give Owen the possibility of experiencing that kind of love and relationship I had with Andy is nothing short of everything. I would not understand life or happiness or sadness or joy or hope if it weren't for Andy. I would most certainly not love as I know how...as imperfect as I might...if it weren't for Andy. I would be nothing without Andy.
  So here we sit and wait for the day that God took Andy away from us.The day that our new baby is to breathe its first. Irony isn't it: to cover up Andy's death day with the day of our child's birth. God does most certainly work in mysterious ways. My due date...his expiration date.
  I am still working through the dread. I am still working through the fear. But, on this wonderful day...the day my mom birthed a legend...the day we celebrate Andy we celebrate our new. 
  Pray for us friends as we embark again (so closely to the last) on this journey of life. Happy birthday, my brother...and happy journey, our new baby. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...