Skip to main content

A gift for my son

  It's something really...that moment of clarity. For the past 36 hours, I have been waiting for that moment. The one that makes it all just--fall in line. 
  I thought it would be the moment I was wheeled into the OR for my scheduled c-section. It wasn't. I thought it would be the moment I got to see if my daughter actually had hair. It wasn't. I thought it would be the moment I got to smell her breath to engulf the smell of life as I did her brother. It wasn't. 
  I just couldn't find it. And yet, for the last 36 hours all the wonderful little things I got to experience as I held my new little baby were leading up to the one I was missing. 
  You see...since I found out I was pregnant, I have been carrying around this deep-rooted sense of disinterest. Did I really want another baby? Did I actually want this? I had the perfect son who really had all the love I could hold. How would I ever love someone else as much as I loved him? 
  I didn't think it possible. Perhaps, I still don't. We will see. ;-) In fact, it took me several months before I looked at my son and thought, "Damn! I love you." I felt true obligation for caring for him...not love. 
  Maybe this one is a little different? I didn't play around with the first time mom ideals I once carried. I was/am a little more aware about a lot of things...mostly about my personal well-being and how I plan to not bury myself in guilt or "I have-tos." It almost did me in the last time, and I wasn't going to let it this time around. 
  But, how was I going to justify this new little one when Owen was still little? I wasn't done letting him be my baby and here I was with another baby. Dumb? Maybe. Real? Yes! 
  So, where was my moment? It only took 36 hours and the reality of a little blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy coming to meet his gift for the first time. I have shoved this picture out of my head for so long because I wasn't sure I wanted it to happen, but as I held Claire rocking her, waiting for Owen to show up in his little blue shirt, and his "I'm a Big brother" pin, carrying the grey giraffe he got Claire...I felt the moment stream down my face--and continue to stream in all of its reality.
  I was about to present my son with his most precious gift. I was about to recreate the moment my parents presented me to Andy. Justin was about to recreate the moment his parents presented Crystal to him. The big, proud brother meets his precious little sister. Although Owen might not fully understand, I did. Justin did. We all did. That moment was a grand one. 
  It all made sense. It all came crashing wonderfully together when that little boy walked in the room, looked at his gift and said, "baby...aww" and bent down to give her a kiss.
  Claire Grey Garner came wonderfully crashing into our lives yesterday afternoon. I am honored to be her mother and am excited to see the love I have for Owen bend and shape around another beautiful little soul. 
  Thank you for all of the well-wishes, texts, calls and prayers. It means so much!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

The sun will come out...when?

   I could have really used the sun today. You know that feeling between being in an okay mood and being in a not so okay mood? Well, I am there. And, I know for a fact that the sun would have pushed me to the side of okay...or maybe even taken me to great. No sun today. Just grey, blah weather. I hate it! It makes me doubt things. It makes me create things in my mind. It makes me think of the demeantors breeding bad juju.    I need the sun. Today has been more of a blah day than I have experienced in a long while. The weather isn't just hazy, I have become haze. The weather isn't just dank. I have become dank. The weather isn't just cold. I have become cold. So much so that the phone I answer at work would better serve me if thrown through the window in front of me. So much so that the cell phone I keep in touch with my friends would better serve me if broken.     SAD: seasonal affective disorder. I think most people know what this is. I have never thought I was driven s