Skip to main content

If you want to live my life...

  When we try to live our lives, we have one opinion that matters, our own. We have two things to keep in mind: our happiness and our own responsibility. Nothing else truly matters. Nobody else's opinion really matters. We have the option of respecting and responding to other's opinion of ourselves, but we don't have to.
  That's what I am coming to realize. If you want to live my life, then please make a difference in it. If you want to live my life, then support it. If you want to live my life, then take control. But, if you don't do any of those things then please realize that your opinion is just that: an opinion.
  This really does make me sound like a selfish, uncaring human being. It does. I can see that. But, I do believe, in my heart, that is farther from the truth. What I mean to say is this...what does it matter? My actions? My heart? My body? Mt soul? What matters to you? Do you wish me not to be in pain?
  Andy and I had this solidified idea: those who don't understand pain can't truly understand. We all experience pain, but we all experience it differently. We can only try to begin to understand what another is going through. When we try to measure up someone else to ourselves, we lose the idea that every experience is unique. Such is pain.
  Lately, when trying to explain my new relationship, I have this underlying explanation: I have no fear. When he asked me last night, "How happy are you?" I responded, "When I think of you, I don't think of happiness. But, let me explain. Someone once told me I was their constant. They said that even though their world seemed in turmoil and chaos, you were the solid foundation. I didn't understand what that meant until I met you. You are that solid rock on which I stand. I don't quantify my happiness with you...I quantify my constancy."
  So, the more people that find out about me dating white boy, the more I become comfortable with the idea. Not because others are uncomfortable or don't understand, but the more I come to heal from the breaks in my heart. I asked him if he was willing to wait for me to catch up to him in being okay with us...his response, "I am still here."
  Could I ask for anything else? How selfless he is. How selfish I am. We are a balance. We are a counteracting couple. We are us. If you want to manage it yourself, then live me. Then be me...but you can't because you should be too busy with being yourself.

"To be oneself in a world that is constantly trying to make you someone else is the greatest accomplishment." -Emerson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...