Skip to main content

Investments

  My boss is very passionate about work/life balance. To him, the two must be maintained or one will fail. For me, someone who likes to work a lot and socialize the same amount, I feel as though I have a good grasp on this concept.
  I recently got a laptop at work to make my job easier. I was surprised how much easier it has become. When I was pulled into my boss's office last week, I made the mistake of telling him I had taken some work home. I was immediately told not to do that again. To him, I was going against the very nature of work/life balance. To me, I loved the idea of doing work comfortably on the couch in front of the TV.
  As I was conveying to a co-worker how much I liked the idea, she spoke vehemently against it...just like my boss. Difference is I don't have a family that would be affected. Anyway...
  This afternoon, our director of production was walked out. Gone. Just in an instant. One moment he was berating me, in jest, for not liking bread pudding, and the next he was red faced with tears in his eyes. The company was shocked. 25 years of hard dedicated service. Gone.
  My co-worker that opposed my laptop said to me "See, Aly, this is why you don't spend so much time investing in work." I immediately disagreed. Of course that's the point. We must invest. We must invest in something. I told her we are not promised a breath tomorrow or a job next week. But how boring life would be if we didn't invest.
  Yes. I believe in work/life balance, but I also believe in giving everything you have. Because if you don't then you will never gain anything outside yourself. In 25 years, this man has given of himself and made a forever impact on those of us he guided. This man invested, and he will always have something to show for it.
  If you think of this man, please say a prayer during this hard season. He deserves peace and a good Christmas holiday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...