Skip to main content

Where are all the good guys?

  Lately, I have seen countless memes about that one guy. You know, the one who opens doors, plans the special date, wants to spend time with you more than his friends, texts back immediately, would rather see you on your ugly day than any other girl on her best. That guy...
  Following these memes, I have seen girls say, "They don't exist." Tumblr and FaceBook are full of these. A few weeks back, I took a look back on my Tumblr and saw them on my own page. I have periods of feelings, and my Tumblr is a much better representation of those periods. I have some that evoke female power, some that express my depression concerning the passing of my brother, others that express my sadness with guys and their complete inability to measure up to what I thought they should, and some that are just representations of my existential mind.
  I think I always knew this "guy" existed. I was always pretty sure that those of us who didn't think they did were wrong. I suppose that it is easier to think the other party is the problem. From one who thought they would be the perfect girlfriend, I now know how usually wrong that is. It isn't that they are the problem, it is that we are all the problem. None of us is perfect. Usually, when I see someone go through girlfriends/boyfriends at an abnormally high rate I look at the common denominator. I have been that common denominator. I was searching for someone that measured up to what I thought was perfection in a partner.
  I never found him. He found me. And oddly enough, I tend to look at our relationship and see what most people wish they had. I have "that guy." There was a moment when I realized how " unconditional his love was for me. He saw my ugliness and embraced it. And through that unconditional love, I have found a deep love for him. It is amazing how much he loves me at my complete and utter worst.
  Yesterday, I saw a FaceBook quote that stated, "We just want a person who listens to us, supports us, and falls in love with us every day." I though, "Do we? Is that what we want?" I think so, and I think that we want that more when we don't have it. I am lucky to have it, and I too often take it for granted. How much I wish that my other girlfriends could experience the joy, care and concern I receive daily. I couldn't ask for something more.
  I guess, I just realize that it is so easy to believe that "that guy" doesn't exist. They do... 'cause I got one. And, with there being over 6 billion people in the world, I know there are more. I also know that it is our duty as girls (and boys) to hold out for the most right thing. Nothing is ever perfect, but there is someone who works with our imperfections...that's the point. I want perfect, but unless I can produce perfection, I will never get it. The biggest difference between he and I is that he doesn't expect me to be any other way than who I am at this very moment. Think I found a keeper...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...