Skip to main content

Waiting for my savior

  Last year, on this day, I wrote a blog post entitled: "Dehumanizing my savior." It was a confession that I spent the evening waiting for and then dehumanizing my then on-again-off-again boyfriend. I looked him in the eye and told him, "I have been hot and cold because I was disregarding you as a human with feelings. It is easier to pretend you have no feelings to assuage my own self." I sat, at a friend's house that I was sitting for and berated him for my own pain's sake.
  Oddly enough, exactly one year later, I sit at the same house, in the same spot, and eagerly await for him to come to me. To love me. To hold me. To tell me that I am his one and only. To spend a few blessed moments together.
  What changed?! What could possibly have changed within him to cause me such a turn around? Absolutely nothing.
  He is and has always been a constant. He has changed for no one not even me...the one he loved. And a year ago when he responded, "You pretended I didn't have feelings?" I had to hang my head and respond with a solid, "Yes." And the reason: to make him run. To make him run as fast as he could from me and my broken self.
  Yet, he stayed. And he loved. He loved so hard that the pieces of my broken self began to form back into something that resembled a human heart. He loved so fiercely that I can't help tonight but text him, "Hurry and come to me." with tears in my eyes. I have come to need him like air. I have come to need his arms around my body like a desert flower needs the drops of rain it gets blessed with a few moments a year.
  He didn't change. I did! I did because he stayed. He stayed and loved so fiercely that no longer did I mourn the torn pieces of myself. I no longer yearned for the tear stained pillow I found myself clinging to because of broken promises. He proved to me that the words my brother told me, "You are worth it. You are beautiful. You deserve the world" were in fact true! He made me believe that I am worth it.
  He saved me. A year ago, on this day, when I wrote, "I am learning in this world what true self-worth really is. I am learning what true friendship really is. I am learning what true goodness really is. And he has taught me a great deal of that. I call him my savior, not to negate my True Savior, but to call attention to the the very nature of his personhood. He treats me, an at times truly despicable person, with what he thinks I deserve: happiness and care and honesty and pure respect. I could ask for nothing more. I am not deserving of his heart, but he thinks I am . I am not deserving of his time, but he thinks I am. I am not deserving of his concern, but he thinks I am. I am not deserving, but he thinks I am. And that makes me believe that perhaps I might be." I found myself. I found my future.
  Tonight, I wait for my fiance to come and hold me and tell me that he missed me. And geez... do I miss him something fierce!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...