Skip to main content

Tears for President 2016

  Politics...politics...politics. It. Is. Everywhere. And I am tired. So very tired. I have read people deleting others on Facebook, unfollowing friends, I have even gone so far as to delete Facebook off of my phone's main screen because it is so infuriating. Alas, I have a habit and put my apps icon back where it goes.
  And it all started when we all got super interested, as we do closer to a presidential election, in the next POTUS. Since I was young, I couldn't wait till I turned 18. I wanted more than anything to cast my vote and support women's suffrage. My mother, extremely political, taught my brother, extremely political, who taught me to BE extremely political. Politics has been ingrained in my nature. Honestly, I didn't have much of a choice seeing who my brother was. And I followed the political field closely as possible.
  When Andy died, I continued my civic duty, voting every election possible, with fervor. However, as I have gotten older my media consumption has dwindled and my political knowledge has waned. Granted, I am still informed and I will never go to the booth without foreknowledge of my vote.
  Last week, I attended a talk at my home parish about Catholic voting. The priest who was presenting is a very smart and informed man...on both sides of all issues. He asked who already knew who they were voting for; some raised their hands. He asked for the undecided; some raised their hands. Mine stayed down on both.
  Since the inception of my Catholic faith, I have tried to understand where I belong. Raised Republican...I no longer quite align, and even more so see myself distant from the candidate that is gracing my party's platform. For how can I find morals in the immoral? I can't.
  5 minutes till the end of his talk he asked this, "Don't raise your hand, but how many of you won't be voting?" My mental hand shot up, and the tears started rolling down my face. I have never been so sad to admit that I could not nor would I vote this coming election. It breaks my heart, and I was coming to him, unbeknownst to me, for solidarity. And in his words,  "At the end of the day, vote your conscience." I found what I needed.
  I don't fit in this election. Honestly, after him reading this... I got it:
  1. I’m against abortion, and they call me a Republican
  2. I want greater justice for immigrants, and they call me a Democrat
  3. I stand against “Gay” “Marriage,” and they call me a Republican
  4. I work for affordable housing, and stand with unemployed in DC, and they call me a Democrat
  5. I talk of subsidiarity and they say: “Republican, for sure.”
  6. I mention the common good, and solidarity and they say, “Not only a Democrat, but a Socialist for sure.”
  7. Embryonic Stem cell research should end, “See, he’s Republican!”
  8. Not a supporter of the death penalty, standing with the Bishops and the Popes against it…”Ah, told you! He’s really a Democrat!…Dye in the wool and Yellow Dog to boot!”
  I don't fit in. I'm Catholic. I'm voting my conscience this November. All I ask, is that you do too. Whether for her or for him, make sure the decision is one you can sleep with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...