Skip to main content

125 days and 165 questions

  Oddly enough, my body has been breaking out more than usual. As a 31 year old, I find it odd when my body says, "Screw you!" And pops out a new pimple. *deep breath* Stress... I equate it to that. Today, on the "hitched" countdown, I have 125 days till I am no longer a single, unwed woman bearing her father's surname. *deep breath*
  And to mark this day, white boy and I had our first Pre-Cana (marriage prep) session. 165 questions...about everything. They asked about our place in line of birth, our physical comfort, our financial situation, our ideas of parenting, our religious beliefs, our responsibilities as lovers and bread winners. All the things were not left unturned.
  As I sat in the room down the hall from him answering my questions alone, I couldn't help but fill in each circle with ease and joy. Granted, I think I saw my hands shake a little, and my eye certainly twitched a few times at the reality that was taking place; however, I was enjoying the fact that down the hall he was probably answering strongly agree to questions such as: "I can't see myself being as happy with anyone else, and My future spouse and I can talk candidly about issues that bother us." No doubt...
  As we drove away, we spent a good deal of time talking about our answers eager to see the results from our assessment. I honestly had no idea what would entail. I walked in knowing I want to marry this man, but not knowing what questions were going to be asked. I don't know. I feel like I am rambling because the time is getting closer to the sacramental union I will share with another human being.
  I am scared. I will be the first to admit. He and I have often joked about the day of either me hyperventilating or not physically able to walk down the aisle. It takes me back to a year ago when he said his biggest fear was me not saying yes to if I would marry him, and if I did, then not being able to walk down the aisle to him. I am sure his fear is assuaged. I wear the ring and I have booked the hall. The hope now, for me, is that I will continue to feel the ease and joy I found today in knowing I am setting out to start a life with this man. The one who loves me. The one who accepts me. The one who nervously got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. It truly is a simple thing.
  For the next few months, life will get crazy. If you have any prayers, please send them our way. :) the journey is just getting started and it is getting more and more interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...