Skip to main content

When I get distant

  Last spring I spent a week and a half in DC with a good friend. Every night I talked to my then boy friend. We talked about his new job, how much we missed each other, and how much we couldn't wait to see each other. The day I got home I was distant.
  Since I was young, my introvert pops its head up when I have found that I have gone and gone and gone and haven't stopped. If I don't take time for myself...I start to pull into myself and I cease to function properly.
  The night I got home from that trip I wasn't the loving person he was expecting, and it caused a huge rift in our relationship. So much so that he held that night against me it was a point he would bring up when we would argue. I couldn't explain enough that it wasn't him I just needed "me" time.
  Since then, I have had a fear that anyone else would treat me with the same amount of misunderstanding and disdain when my distant self would kick in. Not white boy.
  In fact, I can't always tell when I need go be alone. It just hits me and then I cease to be the bubbly me. My reset button needs resetting and fast. If I don't get it, I get crabby and moody and can't get out. Last night this happened.
  The first time I did it, I failed to explain this to him until I was cracking. I think it might have scared him a bit. But, I told him it had nothing to do with us or him. It was me. I needed to reset. He got it. Didn't ask questions or freak out, at least more than he told me, and hasn't held it against me.
  Last night he said, "You need 'me' time don't you." Yeah... I did. I do. The beautiful thing is that instead of holding against me or throwing it in my face he tells me he will be there when I am reset.
  Last night, the one who couldn't let it go texted me. I was astounded by the differences these two men have. I was shocked to see just how much everyone else has paled in comparison to the one who has pieced my heart back together. I'm blessed, friends. And last night, I got a chance to see again by just how much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...