Skip to main content

People say this. People say that.

  By now, most people should know that I really don't care what others think. I do things that I want...when I want. So far, it has worked out well. I would like to think that my conscience is quiet strong and guides me to where I should be and where I want to be.
  That said...what do you want? When it comes to my relationships, I have had multiple instances in which backlash has been had. Some warranted some not. This time...if you only knew. Why do we end up with the ones we do? Is it because we think we deserve that person? Is it because we settle for what we are tired of searching for?
  J: a simple (I mean this in the way that means clarity) man who wants one thing...to love and be loved in return. I tell people I found someone who adores me. Their response: but can you find things in common. I tell people I found someone who surpasses the idea I had for myself. Their response: yes but can he talk literature and philosophy and religion and politics and all the other things that you love. I tell people that if my brother were alive today he would tell me that I found a treasure. Their response: but... always a but.
  Would it help if I told you he told me that he never thought he would find someone that would want to be with him or be his wife or love him as much as he loved them? Would it help if I told you that not an hour goes by I am not told I am loved and beautiful? Would it help if I told you that this one single human being makes me feel alive? Because if that doesn't give you a glimpse of the kind of person I am with...then you are blind and I can't help you.
  He is not perfect. I am certainly not perfect. We will never be perfect. But we are us. We are us and I love us. He tells me that I need to look in the mirror and see myself for who I am: a beautiful woman. I tell him he needs to heed his own advice. If I can spend the rest of my foreseeable future with someone who loves, cares, and encourages me...I think I have a better relationship than most in this world. I am blessed and honored to be with someone so genuine and kind. May he finally one day see himself for who he is: a Godsend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...