Skip to main content

Pretty little political boxes

  I used to be non-denominational. I am now Catholic. I used to be pro-capital punishment. I am now anti-capital punishment. I have always been pro-life. And I have usually always been put in a pretty little political box. However, there is no such thing. The bombings around the world, the refugees, the fight for women's rights, the fight for equal pay for women, the fight for all genders, sexes and races...none of it fits into a pretty little political box.
  No one likes to be mislabeled. If that is the case, and it is, then why can't we stop? I saw on Facebook, yesterday, a post by an acquaintance that spoke of her surprise of someone she didn't think would be for the acceptance of refugees was and someone she thought would be for it was opposed. Her next comment was ridiculous. It was along the lines of, "And most of the time I am right about these kinds of things."
  Hold up. Just hold up. I get that people can be predictable, but I also get that people can change and completely surprise you. Politics is something that we all have a stake in. Politics is something that we always have opinions on. I guess I just can't understand why we try to place each other in these boxes that end up hurting each other. Why would we allow social media to put these little boxes on our social doorstep only to be opened and then discarded because we see a pile of shit instead of a different opinion. If we really want peace, why do we think our idea of peace is the only one that is doable. If we really want the people of the world to work in tandem, then why do we fight so hard against each other?
  If someone wants to mourn the people in Paris, why do we berate them for not knowing about what has happened in Beirut? If someone wants to keep refugees out of their country, why do we assume they are heartless bastards? If someone wants to make gender equality their main priority, why do we assume they are feminists? If someone... put what you want. Just allow someone to put what they want to.
  Here is a thought: if you want someone to respect you, then you better damn well offer the same respect. Social media is the last place we should be airing our dirtiness. But acceptable if only to be shown forgiveness and acceptance to gain a stronger sense of humility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...