Skip to main content

Happy St. Valentine's Day

  Three days after Christmas we are inundated with Valentine. It is has become an obligation for one lover to show the object of their affection just how much they care. Hallmark, Russell Stovers, and florists every where are selling their wares and perhaps greedily cackling with mirth.
  But that is so far from what Valentine's day is all about. I could give some sort of history lesson on St. Valentine, bishop and martyr; however, what good is that? It isn't. But I have seen, in the last several days, how different people see this holiday.
  Those who are in committed relationships usually scramble for a gift, men especially. Those who are not in a relationship are usually hating the fact that they are single by calling out the industry as a mass market of money laundering tycoons, or embracing the holiday as just that...a holiday. But, for whatever the sentiment toward this holiday, I have one myself...
  Love. Just love. Not just the kind we feel when our stomachs church seeing our lover do something incredible. Not just the kind we feel when we are truly given a love gift from a friend, family member, or a lover. No. Not just those. All loves.
  This morning started out watching a dear dear friend make the commitment in the sacrament of baptism. Tears so fluidly ran down my face. That was truly a pure expression of love.
  This afternoon I spent it with my lover who had roses, a beautiful card, and a beautiful heart necklace waiting just for me. It is a treasure. It is a gift I will cherish forever.
  Both of these are ways of love. Both are genuine ways God has manifested himself to us and both are a direct reflection of love. I love love. I love gifts that show me love. I love being told I am loved.
  I am so blessed. What a beautiful day to see just how pure and raw love is. And how wonderful to see the different manifestations of such. Happy St. Valentine's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...