Skip to main content

One tough chick

  It took me 3 seconds to raise my hand when asked if someone wanted a miniature schnauzer puppy. I did. Pick me... I heard she was selective on who she would give the last litter her little Coconut bore. I was hoping to be the lucky one. My parents and I were both lucky.
  It's been a running joke from the moment I picked up Dutch and Baron from my dear friend's house, that her mom was now my dog's grandma. People are weird about animals. And you never enter into the weirdness until the animal weaves their way into your heart.
  I walked into her hospital room as she sat there looking better than I imagined her to be. There, propped up against the pillow, sat a woman with a wound vac covering her upper thigh. Her 1 ton bull just happened to run her over crushing her leg. I still remember the pictures. I still remember her story. It was as though she had just fallen down instead of nearly being trampled to death. She chuckled and told me she would teach it a lesson by throwing him in the pan. She wasn't joking.
  From the moment I met this woman, I was enthralled. I don't know if it is because I am in love with her daughter and her daughter's family or if she is just that much of a badass. Her stories always intrigued me. Always.
  Last year, she was diagnosed with cancer. It was aggressive and terminal. What kind? It was a long name, I think. What kind wasn't the point. It was her reaction. "Eh..." Or, that's what I imagined it to be. I guess I just always had this impenetrable attitude towards her. She has always seemed so invincible, and truth be told I barely knew her. I saw her last Match when I dropped by to borrow a dog crate from her daughter. She was in town for a round of chemo, and I had the opportunity to spend some precious moments with her. I itched to ask her how she felt about dying. I itched to ask her if she was ready. I never did.
  Sadly, I didn't get to see her again last year. Just recently her daughter informed us that her mother's cancer had spread viciously throughout very vital places in her body. It wasn't looking good. Honestly, it never had. But she was a tough one... She was always the kind of person you heard people say, "Heck, she is going to outlive us all." Huh...
  A week ago Sunday, her daughter asked if she could put me on a list of "people who can help mom when I need someone." It is an honor to be able to be on that list. My work with home health has given me skills and honors to be able to help in such a case. My answer was of course yes! She needed me Thursday. I was there.
  We spoke of the bull, Dutch and Baron (of course) her short short stint as a novice, her family, the weather, politics, religion, football... You name it, we talked about it.
I itched to ask her how she felt about dying. I itched to ask if she was ready. I never did.
  Friday morning she ended up in the ER. She died Saturday night. I don't think I can explain what strength this woman had. Because I don't think I actually knew how strong she was. Perhaps most of it was stubbornness, but a lot was just pure life and living it. I truly admired her. If you think of her and her family, please say a prayer. Cancer does suck. And, no matter how much time you have to say, "Goodbye. I'll see you on the other side. I love you," or any other sentiment, it is never enough. Never.
Rest in peace, Bernice...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...