Skip to main content

The long lost fantastical relationships

  For as long as I can remember, I used to make up stories in my head. As I got older, most of them revolved around a romance, something I didn't have. I would create detailed stories of romantic trips to far off places; happenstance meetings of a famous musician and how they would fall in love with me; being chosen to be in a Oscar-winning movie and make the main actor fall head over heels. In fact, sometimes, I would imagine how it would be around my friends and family and such. I honestly think I used this crutch to be okay with not dating till I was much older.
  When I got into my first relationship, I realized the fantasy relationships stopped. But then I realized they didn't stop they morphed. I could try to defend him and excuse him from the tears and the pain and the hurt heart, but I won't. While in the midst of those things, my mind would build imaginary stories of a perfect relationship with him. Ones in which he spent time with me; ones where he cherished our time; ones where he would laugh and hold me and tell me things I longed to hear. He didn't. I left. My mind was too tired to create anything.
  When I got into my second relationship, I was too caught up to see that my survival mode was turned on. I was always trying to force someone to be okay with my relationship. It would be a while before I noticed the subtle hints of someone who was seeking elsewhere. The stories became those of complete attention toward me. I was not fighting his social (fake) life for a look or a gesture. The nice things that he did towards me and for me were (in my mind) because of love and not obligation. He cheated. I left. My mind was destroyed.
  When the third came back into my life, my mind went wild. Anything and everything I could imagine and hope for was playing over and over in my head. A fantastic life of pleasure and security was what I mentally wove together. It was beautiful. And I held it tight so no one could see. I remember a few short times when he would help me weave those stories that I would give glimpses to those who would cherish them with me. The fantasy life I built for me and him was one of epic proportions. What I didn't know was that he was building on sand. He tore them down. I left. My heart was so bruised.
  Then he came along, and the stories stopped. I thought perhaps my heart and mind were too hurt to make up stories that would never come true. But all there was...was silence. I realized with him I couldn't find anything to fix. I couldn't make up a fantastical relationship that was better than the reality I was living. It was a first. It was a shock. And for the last year, I look back and realize that I have been living the fantastical relationship that I always wanted. While in the midst of the pain from a broken fantasy, my mother once said, "If it hurts this bad, it's not worth having." J and I have had our moments. Some that had me ready to hang my head and kiss him goodbye. But I was used to leaving relationships that held a partner who didn't want to make it work. This one won't let the tapestry we have created together unwind. I am blessed, and my fantasy has finally become a reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...