Skip to main content

I had this friend once...

   She had fire engine red hair, and the moment my mother laid eyes on her she knew we would be friends. We were, for a long time. But, she was mess. She was a complete fucked up mess and when we stopped talking after 9 years of friendship she was still a mess. In the beginning, the way she was made sense. She came from a completely broken family full of mistrust, abandonment, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and every other messed up thing that could happen to a person.
    It would be a long hard road for her, but I never stopped standing by her side. Although 6 years older than me, she and I became like sisters. We never lacked of intimate conversation or want of trust. We were polar opposites, but we got along very well.
    And, to this day, I still don't know why we stopped talking. She had this problem with family and friends, and when they would not call her up and ask about her life and instead dump on her their own problems...she would slowly dump each person she had. She became a lonely girl who had no family. I can't say I didn't blame her, but her standards were very high, and broken people usually can't live up to high standards. Most of the time she couldn't live up to her own.
    I watched her ditch recreational drugs, dabble in mysticism, break free of abuse, find God, find strong and healthy friends, fall into depression, get buried in debt, find her identity, lose herself again, lose God, move to find peace, date boy after messed up boy, find herself, pick up the recreational drug use, lose herself, slowly try to pick herself up...and then she walked. Away. The last time I heard from her was a call at 4 in the morning a year ago. Those calls were never good.
    Often she would call late in the night either drunk or high and completely broken. Many nights I would stay up late and listen to her cry. I would feel bad that I couldn't help. The story was the same...it was either her family or her boyfriend and they had given her the illusion that they wanted to mend the relationship that was broken, the relationship that always started out broken, and she would fall for it...again and again and again. I was there for it all.
   It got old. It got so old that I couldn't pick up the tiny fragmented pieces any longer. I had picked them up so often and tried to glue them back that they were no longer pieces of her, they were sand, and they kept slipping through my fingers. I was no mender. I was no god. I was not God. Perhaps she realized that I was no help. Perhaps she realized that the life I was being drained of into her wasn't staying any longer...it was just going in and leaving having nothing to cling to.
    But, I miss her sometimes. I miss her a lot. And, I don't know if it is worth reaching out to see if the mosaic of her life has been recreated. I fear that it might cause more damage. I fear that my desire to inquire into her life might tip over the edge a broken girl who has been teetering for many years. But, my fears may be completely unfounded. She may be whole, and there is a part of me that wants to find out. Do I risk it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

The sun will come out...when?

   I could have really used the sun today. You know that feeling between being in an okay mood and being in a not so okay mood? Well, I am there. And, I know for a fact that the sun would have pushed me to the side of okay...or maybe even taken me to great. No sun today. Just grey, blah weather. I hate it! It makes me doubt things. It makes me create things in my mind. It makes me think of the demeantors breeding bad juju.    I need the sun. Today has been more of a blah day than I have experienced in a long while. The weather isn't just hazy, I have become haze. The weather isn't just dank. I have become dank. The weather isn't just cold. I have become cold. So much so that the phone I answer at work would better serve me if thrown through the window in front of me. So much so that the cell phone I keep in touch with my friends would better serve me if broken.     SAD: seasonal affective disorder. I think most people know what this is. I have never thought I was driven s