Skip to main content

The strongest trigger

    The strongest trigger of memories is smell. The olfactory sense is connected to the parts of the brain, such as: amygdala and the hippocampus which are directly connected to emotion. While learning this in school, long time back, I couldn't quite believe that sight and sound were not stronger triggers. However, I was proven wrong one day I was with my family at the Long John Silvers. I had to use the bathroom, and as I opened the door, I was smacked with a smell I hadn't smelt in 11 years? And, in an instant, I was taken back to my father cleaning floors for the Catholic church in Plano, TX.
    As I was driving during lunch today, I had the window cracked, the wind was coming through slightly, the smell of rain was slightly on the wind, and the song Divine Romance came playing through my playlist. I was immediatly taken back to the time of Lent the year I came into the Church. A song, a smell, and the look of the clouds were fast transporting.
    So many things transport me back to memories of long past. Some smells, some sounds, some touches, some sights, some tastes...all ways that instantly bring smiles or tears. I have always been one to welcome a good memory, but sometimes the memories are not good. I was recently at a bar with some friends, and as I leaned over to smell the beer being drank by a friend it reminded me of his breath. It took me back to the moment I couldn't turn my head fast enough, and nothing disgusts me more than that moment I couldn't fight back.
    But, oh the good memories. The ones that give me reasons to smile from ear to ear. The memories that bring back his laughter and his voice. The memories that help me to experience that summer that the world was perfect. I welcome those. Those are worth all the memories of that rank breath. Because if I had to choose between taking the good with the bad, I would always take the bad so I could have the good.
    I think I got my love of smell from my father. Growing up my father never had for lack of good smelling things. He is a man who took pride in not only his looks, but also the way he smelled. We would gift him cologne for his birthday or Christmas...not usually a tie. I am the same. If I were to count the amount of good smelly things I have on my dresser the number would probably be upwards of 20? If only because I recognize the sentiment that smells bring. And, I have a smell for each mood I feel that I am in, and also for the season.
    This really isn't about a certain Armani or Escada perfume. This is about those memories that I have when I wear them. This isn't about the song or the look of the clouds as I was driving at lunch. This is about the feeling of elation and anticipation I felt well up inside of me as I remembered my impending confirmation. This isn't about his horrid breath. This is about me healing and overcoming the pain that came with it. Memories: so powerful and elusive...and yet so cherished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

The sun will come out...when?

   I could have really used the sun today. You know that feeling between being in an okay mood and being in a not so okay mood? Well, I am there. And, I know for a fact that the sun would have pushed me to the side of okay...or maybe even taken me to great. No sun today. Just grey, blah weather. I hate it! It makes me doubt things. It makes me create things in my mind. It makes me think of the demeantors breeding bad juju.    I need the sun. Today has been more of a blah day than I have experienced in a long while. The weather isn't just hazy, I have become haze. The weather isn't just dank. I have become dank. The weather isn't just cold. I have become cold. So much so that the phone I answer at work would better serve me if thrown through the window in front of me. So much so that the cell phone I keep in touch with my friends would better serve me if broken.     SAD: seasonal affective disorder. I think most people know what this is. I have never thought I was driven s