Skip to main content

Him as hero not author: Act II

   "God's problem is not that God is not able to do certain things. God's problem is that God loves. Love complicates the life of God as it complicates every life." - Philip Yancey
 
  Once the blindfold was taken off of us, we had everything. All good and perfect was ours, but we destroyed it. We destroyed the heart of the Lover because we are foolish and selfish. I haven't always had the greatest sense of empathy. When I am in the midst of my own drama, I remain quite emotional; when I am viewing someone else's drama, I remain quite logical. It is the blessing and cursing that I carry. It is the juxtaposition that I carry from my mother and father.
  But, imagining myself as the beloved, eyes unshielded and the world laid bare...I see a bit more clearly. When I graduated high school, my brother bought me a laptop. It wasn't the first selfless act he had ever done for me, nor would it be the last, but I remember this one particular time because there are pictures to prove my reaction. I was in shock. I was awed that he had spent his money on me: a bratty girl who had/has a tendency to be selfish. However, when he presented me with this gift, I was astounded and so touched.
  Now, I put that on a grander scale, and imagine what it must have been like for man to walk into the perfect world. The world without pain and suffering and goodness and love and all things that we can imagine as being the ultimate good. Perhaps a slight difference was that man knew no pain or suffering. But we do. We do, and so we see the betrayal of the beloved towards the lover as a mistake the rest of us must bear. And so we do.
  I think what most of us forget is that the love that brought us into being is the love that was shared between the Lovers 3. If we are truly mindful of the reason for our creation, we can see a slightly more intimate connection. When man failed, we failed. We failed because we fail. We didn't fail because we were present then, but we are present now...and we still continue to fail. In act II, we took the engagement ring of our lover and we threw it in his face because it was too perfect. We took the laptop that was given to us at graduation and threw it back to our brother because it was too selfless. We took perfection and smeared it with shit because it was too dazzling.
  That is where we failed. That is where we continue to fail. And, as we ran away or were thrown out on our ass because we betrayed the perfect love, we look back to find our lover licking his wounds. Remember, God is the hero. God is the one who was gracious enough to share in his love, only to be kicked down for his uncomplicated giving. Most of us, if reading this story by taking God and ourselves out of it would be perfectly okay with the hero of the story leaving the betrayer behind. It would be just and righteous. We might even scoff if the hero went back to the beloved to try to win that ungrateful wretch back.
  Imagine if you heard a lover's spat through the walls of the apartment.
    "I long to be gracious to you. You are precious and honored in my sight, because I love you. But you-     -come here, you...you...You have been false to me. Yet...I will take delight in you. (from Isaiah)
    What fault did you find in me that you strayed so far from me? Should I not avenge myself? I have           loved you with an ever lasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. What have I done to           make you hate me so much? (from Jeremiah)
  So, we are left with a lover who is broken and betrayed and destroyed...the Lover's heart is broken.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...