Skip to main content

The wood which carried the light



 At the epiclesis on Tuesday, the 3 knocks of wood against wood sounded. It was all I could think about during most of Good Friday's liturgy. The wood on which hung the salvation of the world. After the last supper, Christ dies...on wood. Walking in the sanctuary, it is eerie full of void. It is dark and depressing seeing the door of the tabernacle held open with no life inside. That's what I narrated in front of...an empty tabernacle.
    Knowing Christ is risen is something that gives us hope during this most holy day. Knowing that the mystery of faith: Christ has died; Christ is risen; Christ will come again is ever hopeful while we stare at the shrouded crucifix and bare altar. Humans need hope in darkness. We need light in despair. We get none of that this day. We must wait. We must wait as Christ waited in the grave.
    But, then comes Holy Saturday. The day on which "Christ our Light" enters into our world and brings us the hope and light we so desperately desire. The hope and light we can't live without comes to us in resurrection form represented as the baptismal candle which is carried--lighting up the darkness. We are flooded. We are flooded with rememberance of God's holy work in our lives, and we listen to the tradition of out faith. Until...we get to his empty tomb.
    Do you know why I love this week so much? Because, when I go through the year and I attend Mass on a regular basis...sometimes I don't feel the presence of God. Sometimes, I don't "get" it. But, at some point during this week, I always get it. If only for a glimpse. My brother told me that glimpse is worth the dryness. That glimpse is worth the desert of lent. That glimpse is sustainable.
   
    This year...was my first as RCIA director. How long the process seemed, and how much desert I seemed to walk through. But, it was an honor to experience it from this angle. Next year, I see a more glorious journey. Those who were walking beside me through the journey: I thank you. Those of you were dragging me through the journey: I thank you. Those of you who were watching me through the journey: I thank you. Those of you praying me through the journey: I thank you. It has been an honor. And, I am blessed beyond measure.

Be blessed as I have been blessed. Happy Easter!
-Aly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...