Skip to main content

Fathers: more importantly...my father

  Since my brother died, I have not celebrated father's day as I once did. These days it consists of wishing my father an almost shy "happy father's day" and moving on. My father, not one for bit to-dos, probably understands. In fact, he may welcome it. But, I feel that most times I don't recognize enough the man he is. Let me tell you about my father:
  At 29, he married my mother after a failed marriage of 6 years. He had my brother at 33, and me at 37 (if my math is correct.) My father, a hard-working, non-garish, different type of man. On the outside, to the rest of the world he can seem like an obtuse object of humanness, until they get to know him. To the rest of the world he can seem like not much matters other than being respected, until they get to know him.
  That's the thing: my father is a guidepost. He has always and will forever be a great father. He is someone that is a constant, and when the world gets a glimpse inside the man that I see, they are awed. I am blessed with this man as my dad. I am blessed that from the moment he became a father, he was a good one. Wait, no...a great one.
  Not one moment, in my entire life, have I ever wondered if he loved me. Not a day would go by, that he didn't tell me he loved me. Not a thought would ever pass through my mind that he was not proud of me. For this I am blessed.
  Today, on FaceBook, I saw many a post of those who were wishing their husbands, fathers, grandfathers, nephews, sons-in-law, and other relatives a "happy father's day." What struck me were the posts that I saw of people who no longer get to wish their father's this day's blessing. A friend just recently lost his father, and other dear friends who no longer have one this side of eternity kept my heart full of sorrow and thankfulness. I wish them peace today. I wish them comfort. I wish them good memories.
  To my own father: thank you. Thank you for you. Thank you for being the man who you knew I needed as a father. Thank you for not once making me question your love. Thank you for becoming the man God has intended for you. I know that if Andy were here he would echo my words with a heart full of love.
  To those who are fathers: Be thankful. May God bless you today and forever.
  To those who's fathers are no longer walking this earth: Peace to you. Just undeniable peace.
  To those fathers who wear the collar: I am enraptured by you and your answer to the call. Thank you.

Dad, I love you more than could every hope to say. I hope that I have given you a small piece of the love you have never failed to show me. Thank you for the you inside of me. Lover!

Dad: Get good rest
Me: Okay, you too.
Dad: Okay, thank you.
Me: uh-huh...*

*Said almost every night of my whole life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...