Skip to main content

#lovewins

  This week has been epic. For not the first time, in the history of the United States, the culture has changed at the hands of the Supreme Court. We all know what happened. Some of us embrace it, and some of us don't. Some of us are thrilled beyond measure, and some of us are not.
  And, like all things, this created a worldwide social media frenzy. It wasn't until I got online that the negativity from both sides made my stomach churn. How could we? How could we, as humans who want nothing more than happiness, demean each other? For what reason, did I see many posts of people saying they blocked someone or un-friended them? For what reason do they tolerate and read countless mundane things from this person then when a difference of opinions arises...they no longer can tolerate the sight of their name?
  Here is a question, to you who call yourselves Christians: what makes you call out your fellow human beings spouting the idea of: love the sinner hate the sin when your own blindness is overwhelming?
  Here is a question to those who fight for the same sex love: what makes your hatred and mean words any better than the side you don't agree with?
  It is all bigotry. All negativity is bigotry. No one wants to be called a bigot. No one wants the title, but if you spouted anything negative this week, then you might as well be introducing yourself as one.  Falling from one's high horse is a long fall, and most of the time results in something being very broken and very irreparable.
  All over Facebook, there have been posts with the hashtag "lovewins." It is embracing the fact that no longer can anyone tell a man he can't marry another man or a woman marry another woman. It is a statement that comes from the very nature of what "happiness in love" entails.
  But, love does win. Why? Because God, himself, is love. The true very essence of love is God. Who are you to tell someone who loves the same gender they don't love someone? Who are you to tell throw hate back at the one who doesn't agree with you? If we all truly understood that perfect love casts out fear and hatred...we wouldn't be so eager or quick to cast lots for the other's love life.
  Don't love the sinner and hate the sin. I have said it before...just love. That's it. Just love. Because God first loved you, a sinner and me, a sinner, and all of us...sinners. #lovewins. It always will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...