Skip to main content

Kissing the rebound

I kissed him, and he told me, "You like me more than you say." My reply, "In the end it doesn't matter."

  I can't remember if I have written about lists or desires or expectations of significant others and the ones we want in our lives, but the idea: of the perfect one...might be shattering. Someone once told me that the older a man gets the shorter his list is and the older the woman the longer. For the last few weeks, I have spent a great deal of time thinking of my own list. It is very short and explicit: taller than me, darker skinned, college educated, good job, and Catholic.
  Again, I remember sitting with some very dear friends, at a coffee bar, and they were making me evaluate what it was on my list that was flexible. The thing I came down to, although I didn't adhere to it, was all that truly mattered was that they were Catholic. Since that time, I have been involved with the brown boy and the desire to make a life with the brown one. Both of whom, had most ticked off on my list. In fact, the brown one, had everything...but in the end it still didn't matter.
  So, what does matter? Lately, while evaluating my own list, I have been observing other people I know and their relationships. What made them get with their significant other? What made them choose that person? What did they give up on their list so that one could fit in? What is the underlying factor: love, support, sexual attraction, sex itself, respect, honesty, settling?
  And then, I have been thinking of dating. I had this idea that it best to only date those you can marry. But, then when I dated Zain, I thought that it is okay to date just to date. Now, I don't know. I do know that at (almost) 30, I am in the stage of my life where I am looking for a mate. I am looking for someone more than just a means to pass the time. This kind of makes me wish that I would have started dating sooner than 27, but alas, I did not.
  Before my confessor left for Rome, as I told him of my confusion, he told me this, "You are good woman, Aly, with a good heart. But, you are weak, and people will take advantage of that." Not one for thinking myself weak, I have been thinking and thinking of that statement trying to negate it...but I can't, because it is true. And, if it is true, then what exactly is my list supposed to reflect? My parents, my brother, and my friends have always wanted one thing for me: to find the perfect one. Not that the person was perfect, but that they treated me with a sense of perfection. What I am finding is this, "What if my perfect one isn't my list? What if the one who is right or could be, is nothing like my list? Then what?"
  It would be after a nice dinner and a movie, that I finally opened up to him. It was then I was able to tell him, "If I date you now, you will only be a rebound, and you deserve more than that." His response, "True, I don't. But just tell me when you are ready, and okay." Here I sat listening to words I had once thrust upon someone else. Words that although are wonderful to hear demand a lot of responsibility. If I knew now how powerful those words were to hear, I might have never said them to the brown one. But, they were true and honest. I meant them...and so does this one. And, it scares the shit out of me. I was hurt, and I have no desire to hurt someone the way I was.
  When he told me, "You might date me later." My thoughts were, "Yes, but you aren't darker than me. Yes, but you aren't college educated. Yes, but you aren't Catholic." And, as I held his hands...hands that carry responsibility and fight and honesty and care and loyalty and other things that aren't on my list but make him a good man, my list started to erase itself. So, what does my list consist of now? Erased pencil marks. Except it is as though it has been erased with a cheap pencil so what was there is still visible, just smeared and holding on with eraser marks around my lines. The choice is now this: get a better eraser, or rewrite my previous list--this time in ink.

Comments

  1. Not sure we're supposed to be strong. Weakness gives space for Him to work in us, strength - or at least trying to be strong - gets in the way I think.

    I met my life's love when I'd laid everything aside. Get that eraser working girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...