Skip to main content

Dehumanizing my savior

  If you can say that you haven't sat in front of someone who cares deeply for you and with a straight face tell them you haven't consciously disregarded them as a human being for your own self-interest, you are a better person than me. It is a despicable thing, and I did it. In that moment of disregard, I carried no remorse.
  Now, if you can say that you haven't had to look that person in the eye and apologize knowing your words are only a fraction of the guilt you felt, then you were saved severe embarrassment. Sometimes, I wonder how anyone could consider me a decent human being.
  I could say that for my own self-defense that I acted as a scared little child. But even so, that is a very low thing to do. So far, in this relationship, I have spent more time fighting against my own heart and soul. And as I sat across from him it all began to make sense. I have never been truly happy in any relationship. In fact, I am not sure I understand what that word means when it comes to being in a relationship. I am learning. Truly, I am.
  The most humbling thing I experienced this week: after telling him this heinous truth, he slightly bowed his head and said, "You pretended that I didn't have feelings." Yes. Yes I did. "Why?" Was his response... "To make you run." I admire this man. He puts up with more attitude than gratitude. He endures more pain than gain. And his response: "But I am still here, and I am not going anywhere." Talk about a large plate of humble pie. I was full by the time the evening came to a close.
  I am learning in this world what true self-worth really is. I am learning what true friendship really is. I am learning what true goodness really is. And he has taught me a great deal of that. I call him my savior, not to negate my True Savior, but to call attention to the very nature of his personhood. He treats me, an at times truly despicable person, with what he thinks I deserve: happiness and care and honesty and pure respect. I could ask for nothing more.
  I am not deserving of his heart, but he thinks I am. I am not deserving of his time, but he thinks I am. I am not deserving of his concern, but he thinks I am. I am not deserving, but he thinks I am. And that makes me believe that perhaps I might be. Thank you white boy. For you. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...