Skip to main content

The unemotional woman...in your life

I read an article yesterday that spoke too true about me. The title"18 Things You Should Know About the Emotionally Unavailable Woman in Your Life." I am not quite sure why I was drawn to read this, but 18 things wasn't that many, so I decided to check it out. Not quite sure if I am glad I did. Or, maybe I am.


1. She will put her career and goals before love interests.
    I don't know if this is fully true. I have always found it easier to focus on work and other activities than it is to focus on any sort of love interest. When it comes to work, work doesn't judge you or compare you to other work. Call it a self-preservation thing.


2. She will definitely leave you if you interfere with her ultimate life goals.
    Uh... yeah. This is actually true. I have done it before, and I can't say that I wouldn't do it again. I guess it is best to find someone who lines up with your ultimate goals.


3. She wants it all. And she will get it.
    Yup, yup, and yup.


4. She is not needy.
    This is also true. I find it difficult to accept things from other people. I find it hard to accept help when there is no one else to benefit than myself.


5. She will never rely on anybody other than herself to get what she wants.
    Okay, I know...I am sounding cold and hard and completely ridiculous, but it is just easier to do things for myself. I would rather have someone help me by helping someone else than help me.


6. But she is not a straight-edge, boring Katherine-Heigl-In-Every-Rom-Com character.
    I do find myself social. I am social. I love being social. Sound contradictory? It is...


7. So there is no need for Gerard Butler to swoop in.
    This is true. I don't need a knight in shining armour. I don't need anyone to save me from my lifestyle or the way I live. I like the way I live. :)


8. You might think she is cold and heartless, but that couldn't be further from the truth.
     Meaning, I don't show all emotion, and don't like to be forced. I fully express myself when I feel the need and the desire.


9.  She can fall in love. She flip flops on the idea of becoming a wife and mother.
     I think this is the one the white boy was glad to read. I could see him shaking a little 'til he got to this one. Yes, I can fall in love. And, I thought I sorta had once, but perhaps I hadn't. Yes, I also flip flop on marriage and motherhood. I don't see those things ever defining me. I see them as addendums to my current lifestyle.


10. She is not a heartless robot.
      The second part of this is that she is emotionally unavailable to most, but to a few select she is open. That is a good definition of me. I am social, but I am also not truly invested in many.


11. Her methods of expressing affection are a little different from what you're accustomed to.
      I am not great at making my emotions known or expressed. I tend to hold them in. It is what I am good at. My default.


12. She feels discomfort being gushy and mushy.
      This is somewhat true. The rest of that statement is that when she says something out of character and emotional, it means a lot more than any grandiose gesture. This is true. Hands down. I may not say a lot...but what I say I truly mean.


13. She lives off of the happiness she gest from succeeding at what she wants.
      Yes, yes and yes.


14. On the other hand, failing is incredibly difficult for her.
      So much so, that I don't tend to do things I will fail at. Or, I change my approach from the very beginning so I won't invest too much so that much isn't lost.


15. She places a lot of significance and importance on her own, individual self-worth.
      A million times yes. I don't think I could any more to this.


16. She is skeptical of other.
      Sure. Perhaps. Maybe. Probably.


17. She prefers listening instead of talking.
      Again, this is just flat true. I like to talk...I like to talk to myself. But, I find it easier to listen than to talk.


18. But, if listening leads her to realize you're not worth her trust, she has zero problem leaving.
      Ah...yes. This is true. If we teach our kids to not be dicked around by those who show no respect, than why would this statement be something to guffaw at?


This is me. Or, at least a good indication of myself. I take pride in a lot of these. Some, I am working on. Some, I hope to never lose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...