Skip to main content

The tingly feeling

  It amazes me when things happen or show up that weren't there before. It's like when your arm is cold or numb and as it warms up or starts to wake up you get that tingly feeling. It's the one that tells you blood (or life) has started circulating again.
  I have heard that when you kiss someone, for the first time, if you don't get that tingly feeling then you obviously aren't with the right one. Personally, I tend to think that's bunk. I have a hard time believing in love at first sight and even more so tinglies at first kiss.
  But, as I held him, or more like he held me tonight, I got that tingly feeling. I got that feeling of life coursing out from my heart to the depths of me. It was a small shocking moment. I wonder if he noticed that I hugged him a bit tighter or I whispered "don't leave" into his bare chest. But, if he did feel it or did hear it his response, as in the past, is to cling tighter and whisper back: "never."
  The thawing of me is still a bit overwhelming. As I drove home, I thought how blessed I am to finally be in a healthy relationship. How blessed I am to finally have someone who doesn't just want me but doesn't want to let me go.
  As I pulled away from the kiss, with my eyes closed, I basked for a moment in that life feeling. I didn't want to open my eyes in fear it was made up. But his arm snaked around my middle and I slipped open an eye to see him lovingly looking down on me as though Christmas had come early. I like that look. I like that look very much. I could get very used to that look.
  For the last several days away from white boy, I have begun to realize that driving across town for that look for that comfort for that life tingle is becoming more and more of a simple task I could do for a long while.
  I don't know much in life. I don't quite have my future locked down. But I do know one thing: being wrapped up in him with my frozen heart coming back to life has been a more of a blessing that he may ever know. Because as painful as it is to have your arm fall asleep or your body freezing cold, the tinglies that bring you back to normalcy is a wonderful feeling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...