Skip to main content

It is what it is

    Although I find myself saying this often, it doesn't mean I like it. At the end of the day, when all you can say is, "It is what it is," it almost seems as if you  (one/me) is copping out of the grander explanation. There aren't always times when we can give a definitive answer to something, but just to always comment "it is what it is" doesn't make things better.
    I understand that things are as they are. For whatever reason, they are...but I still feel sometimes as though those things can change. My problem: I assume it can all change...not just me. How wrong I really am. I can change no one but myself. I can change no situation but the one I am in. I am in charge of only one change...my own.
    So, why is it so difficult? Why can't I see the world for what it is and except it? Because! I want things the way I want them. And I don't want it any other way. I want them to stay that way forever.
     Uh oh...I just vomited pride all over the place. If I could put an emoji of a downcast face this would be the perfect place.
     Wanna know a secret? I realize how powerless I am, and I still can't figure out how to deal.
     It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is. It is what it is.
     Maybe if I repeat this mantra I will be able to bury it in my heart. The brain says, "GET IT ALREADY!" The heart whispers, "I'm trying." And I am...trying. It is just going to take some time. Time I have apparently. I mean I don’t see God taking me home at the moment. If we are all here to learn and grow, and I do believe that we are, then I have time.
     I need patience though. The heart is strong. The heart has been pierced, but it is resilient. It loves like a child, and gets hurt as one too. It battles with the adult logical brain and seems to win out every time. Perhaps it is a me thing. Perhaps it is a human thing. Perhaps it is both.
     It is what it is...I want to change that. "It will be what God plans it to be." I think I can handle that reality a bit better. I know that I am destined. For greatness? Perhaps...but perhaps for just a moment in time. However, I know that whatever "it" is is not something I fully wrap my mind around. For now, I will stick to just repeating, "I am here...I am alive...I am blessed."
     The Jesus prayer helps too: Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner... it is what it is... Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner... it is what it is... Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner... it is what--

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...