Skip to main content

All life is sacred...

  As I sat down on the grass before this unassuming building, I placed my cell phone next to me on silent. Between putting my phone down and lifting up my hands to grasp them together, I saw a small green caterpillar...no bigger than one of my freckles crawling across my knuckle.
   I was here to pray, not to play with bugs, and as I gathered air into my lungs to blow away this tiny bug, I stopped. Here I was, in front of the only abortive clinic in Tulsa, fulfilling an hour of prayer I signed up for weeks prior, playing with a bug. But it wasn't just a bug.
   Most people know how sensitive I am toward living things. From the largest animal to the smallest green caterpillar, I am a huge proponent of keeping life sacred and alive. I know that some consider me a hypocrite for eating meat when I so desire all animals to live long and healthy lives, but I suppose that they should know...I would never kill an animal. I have mo desire nor the need.
   Having said that, I understand the necessity for the killing of animals for food. And as I watched this caterpillar, I realized how truly sacred all life is. This building, across from me, allows women to legally kill what I believe to be life. And it isn't just the life of a caterpillar or a dog or an endangered animal...no. It is the life of a human being. A life that was created by the combining of two people through the act of sexual intercourse.
   This blog isn't about whether or not this girl was raped or some man lied to her concerning his love for her or if her father or brother took sick advantage of her. No, this is simply about the fact that ALL life is sacred. Do I believe in the act of abortion? Never. Do I personally know people who have had one? Yes. Is there hate in my heart for them? Never. Is there peace for them? Absolutely.
   I have never been in a situation in which I would ever need to consider having an abortion. I pray everyday that I never do. I also pray for those who have to make this decision...because they shouldn't have to. But life isn't perfect. My parents chose life for me, and I may not be everything they wish I was, but I have the opportunity to make decisions that can perhaps bring about change in this world...every human life deserves that opportunity. Every. Single. One.
   I pray that abortion ends. Not just the ones that are done in sterile clinics with doctors and proper nurses, but also (and especially) the ones that are self-inflicted, and those not done under the careful watch of someone who could save them if necessary, and also those that are done by maniacs who consider themselves health professionals. I want all abortion to end...not just the ones done in that unassuming building that I sat across from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...