Skip to main content

Epiphical

"On the twelth day of Christmas...I finally took down the decorations, and a partrige in a pear tree."

  When I was younger, Christmas always started just after Thanksgiving and ended the day after Christmas on the 26th of December. However, there were times when the real tree that was taken down was left in the yard for at least a month. =) But, things have changed. Christmas starts on the 25th of December and ends on January 6th...the day of Epiphany.
    Although we have nativity scenes that depict the wise men at the birth of Christ, it is a well known and widely accepted fact that the wise men didn't arrive to bring Christ gifts until he was around the age of 2. So, on this day, January 6th we celebrate the coming of the 3 wise men.
    Epiphany: a moment in which you suddenly see or understand something in a new or very clear way. This moment, of the bearing of gifts to Christ, is the first acceptance or knowledge of the Savior to the Gentiles or Eastern world. Around the world, this holiday is celebrated in many different ways.  
    Such as in: Bulgaria, a wooden cross is thrown into a lake or body of water by a priest and young men then race to get the cross. This is considered an honor to whichever young man retrieves the cross. In India, it varies as to the festival, but it is most usually called the Three Kings Festival, with parties and families coming together to cook porridge. In Wales, they celebrate with the baking of bread into a large loaf. This loaf is cut up into three pieces representing Christ, the Virgin Mary, and the 3 wise men.
    Christians around the world celebrate this feast day very differently; however, the meaning is the same. It is the moment Christ transcended the small town of Bethlehem into the rest of the world. It is a representation of the vastness of Christ's reach.
    Also, on this day, we remember the 3 gifts that were brought by the wise men. First, gold which was a representation of the kingship of Christ. They also brought frankincense which is a symbol of high quality or deity. Lastly, the myrrh which was an embalming oil used for the dead. All three of these gifts were representations of the life of Christ: His kingship, His deity, and His death.
     What a beautiful holiday that we embrace and celebrate. Happy Epiphany everyone!
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...