Skip to main content

relinquish to regain

  • "He touched my face as he walked past me."
  • "He brushed my cheek as he passed by."

   Both of these sentences elicit a response. The first, although perhaps meaning the same as the second, doesn't give the emotional response as the first. Of what importance is this? Sometimes, when we want to say something, a simple change of words can take on a whole new meaning. Control: a word that to everyone means something different. But, what about dominion, govern, regulate, restrain. Such similar words in meaning, yet they elicit a much more powerful response.
    I can't quite decide if it is because I am the youngest child or the fact that I am who I am, but I like control. And, if I don't have it, I am very careful of who has that control over me. There are few who have it, and whether they know it, I have given it to them because I trust them.
    Sometimes, the scariest part is knowing that a simple thing from someone can change our demeanor. I was having a conversation with a friend at work, and they mentioned that a simple, simple act from a person gave them a warm, heartfelt glow. I think I might have cringed. Hopefully, so they couldn't see.
    So, I broached the subject: is it that one person has such control, or is it that they know it or don't. It isn't easy to gain trust from someone that can hurt you. It isn't easy to allow someone the ability to hurt you. I guess that it is why it is so easy to remain as a single person within oneself. Because, admit it...being vulnerable is fucking scary.
    I have thought about vulnerability; I have written about vulnerability, but no matter how often I think that I have "control" over it...I don't. We, as humans, were made for companionship. But what kind? All kinds. Most think this is marriage or dating, but it isn't. It is about every connection we make with people. We are meant to be in communion with others...it is what we crave. And, the thing we crave the most is usually what makes us most scared. Rightfully so.
    I have never considered myself an empathetic person, but I try. I will have these moments, where I gain such clarity in a situation that I know I wasn't the one who revealed it to me, and I think that if I can just remind myself of that clarity or truth or reality then I will gain a bit more understanding of the situation.
   But, it all ties together: the control, the vulnerability, the scared-shitless-ness, the community, the clarity. It is all one thing...human nature.
   So...what do we do? When we relinquish our control, we gain it back. But, relinquishing our dominion, governance, regulation and restrain to someone else is so hard. I think when we give up this control, the one who has it or given it needs to realize just what exactly we are granting them. What complete nakedness we have offered. If they can realize it for what it is, then and only then will we be able to regain it back. Because what is freely given should be freely accepted and freely given in return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...