Skip to main content

If not time...then what?

   I just read a rather depressing article that rang too true for me. It was essentially: time doesn't heal wounds. Nothing does. From what I gathered, it was a young girl writing to her brother who is no longer alive. In a flash, he was gone. Or, perhaps that is what I took from it because that is my story. Aside from the fact that this girl is writing my story, I couldn't help but disagree with her. Or, maybe I do agree with her, I just don't know how to dispute it.
   For most of my life, I have been wracked with quotes. Quotes of life and love and loss and one we have all heard is this: "Time heals all wounds." And, for the most part, I have said that to myself, and had an inkling that perhaps it wasn't true. So, what does? I do believe I heard another quote which debunked this one, "Time doesn't heal all wounds; attitude does." Perhaps I didn't hear that, I just made it up. Either way...I don't know how I feel about it.
   I have never been one to believe in relativity; however, I think that time can be at times relative, especially if we believe in the idea of purgatory. We, as humans, see time as linear. Time is something we can measure and count on. The sun will always rise and set. There will always be 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours a day and so on and so forth, but we measure our pain and our wounds outside of linear time. Our wounds and pain don't happen when we want, or when is most convenient for us...therefore the ability to measure the time in which it takes to be whole again doesn't work. Thus creating this idea of relative time.
    Now, am I the same person that I was 4 1/2 years ago when Andrew died? No. Do I feel the sharp sting of death that lingered so close to my soul that horrible day? Not as often, and not as sharp. Do I feel as though breathing is impossible because the one who gave me a clear reason to breathe no longer breathes this side of eternity? No. So what changed? Time? Obviously time is a factor, but it is THE factor? Who can say?
   This article did a good job of painting someone in turmoil and depression. I have seen the effects of these things on the psyche. I have seen how they plague someone years after tragedy. But, I have also been the one who has overcome these things by means of thought and choice. God, if I could count the times that I wanted to just freaking die and leave this dark, dank, and sinister world behind for the loving laughter of my brother...too many to count. What would that solve?
    So, is it time that I came to call brother? Is it choice that I chose to extend a hand of friendship? I don't know. I probably will never know. But to definitively say that time doesn't heal is wrong. To definitively say that it does is also wrong. Even though, reading her story makes me relive mine, I can't address to her the fact that I think she is wrong. Because she is not. However, sometimes when we don't have the whole truth...the dark, dank, and sinister world we are living in seems all that is available to us. There is no clear and bright moments any longer. There is no smiles and laughter to be had again. There is no single ray of pure, unadulterated hope of which we can use as a lifeline.
    In an essence, we end up like her: battling all alone. She speaks of once thinking she was strong, but when forced to endure this tragedy...she lost her strength. She didn't lose it. She abandoned it. We don't in an instant cease to be who we are before the tragedy struck, but we sometimes forget those things that would in essence keep us alive and whole. Whether this girl is still in the throes of sadness and depression, if she allows herself...she will rise above. Like we all do...like we all have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...