Skip to main content

regret

   It's amazingly how quick I regret things, and yet I can convince anyone with flowery words that regret is the least thing we should hold against ourselves. But in the end, regret has taught me a lot of life lessons.
    I try often to not do things or say things that I will regret, either in the moment or later. However, I am not always on the top of my game. And so my opening line tends to be the way I handle regret. The way it happens is I act or react and instantaneously I have a deep sense of regret.
   And probably like most people the only way I can get rid of this regret is with reassurance from someone (usually the one involved or else someone I trust) that regret is the last thing I need to be shouldering. The problem...is that I have a tendency to either not trust them or doubt myself so much I can't get rid of it.
    This is what happened with the ex: I screwed up, regretted, asked for forgiveness, was granted such, told by another I had no reason to have even asked for forgiveness, then carried around said regret from the first action that it in the end...made things worse.
    Therein lies the reason I still sometimes have a hard time letting go. I think it is because I hate causing others pain. I hate it so much that if I have done so (and know about it) I wish to rectify the situation so much. I was speaking to a friend a few weeks ago, and we were talking about this very thing. He told me that I just had a deep sense of sensitivity towards people. I guess. I mean I don't doubt him, but I didn't realize how deep seated it really is.
   I didn't realize until I hurt someone close to me and immediately I felt nauseated with myself. I couldn't believe that I had caused said hurt without knowingly doing so. Then sets in the regret. Will it go away? Hell I hope so! And soon...because I feel as though it is eating me alive. I guess it will all depend on if I can trust this person when they tell me that what I have done (evem subconsciously) is okay. All I know is that I wish to not give this dear person a reason for me to regret. 
    You know...sometimes I really hate being human. I love the ability to have my free will, but not when it can be misconstrued and taken as I don't wish it. It only causes pain...and I certainly don't like pain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

A human mirror

  I look at myself, a lot. I think it has something to do with the fact that I didn't think myself attractive for a long time. Now, I can look at myself even when someone else is in the bathroom. Before, I entered with head bowed and left the same. There are times when I look at myself 3 times before I leave. Most of the time, I focus on one aspect of myself: my eyes, my hair, my waist line, my clothes...something. I can see how this seems egotistical, but perhaps I am making up for lost mirror time.   However, I can only remember one time that I actually looked into the mirror to see something deeper than my outward appearance. And it scared me. I honestly didn't think it was possible to look into the mirror and truly see oneself. It always seemed so cliché. Until I did it.   That was 4 months ago. The moment I decided to walk away from a "relationship" that was nothing more than a confusing drag. It held me bound and clipped the wings I knew God had given me to f...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...