Skip to main content

Sexual reassurance

     As a Catholic, I have been fortunate to not struggle with the basic fundamental things concerning my faith. I will admit that I did not want to be Catholic, until hell froze over...guess it did, but more importantly, I feel whole-heartily that I made the decision to revert to the faith with eyes open and a inquisitive mind. 
     Having said that...there have been some very major underlying things that I have struggled with. I can only begin to say that having people in my life that are willing to be open and honest with me concerning their life in the Church has given me hope for a good future. 
     If you know me at all, you know my sexual orientation and sexual lifestyle. It is one that I am open and more than happy to talk about at any given time. But even still, I have profound struggles with some teachings of the faith. I know what they are, and I agree with them. What are they?
    1. NFP. Now, I know that most people don't know what this is, and perhaps have not encountered this particular practice. NFP or "Natural Family Planning" is a way to engage in sexual relations with your spouse that does not involve contraceptives of any kind. This is probably why most Catholics have large families. It is a well known fact that the Catholic Church does not condone the use of contraceptives. I get it! I do...but hell if I wanna have 15 kids the first 15 years of my marriage. No thanks!! So, I struggle with the idea of not bagging it or swallowing the pill. I am aware that I will have to have faith and trust in the entire situation when/if it arises.
    2. Theology of the body. Or I guess I could specifically say (since I am not talking about the entire program of theology of the body) orgasms outside the vagina. Okay, a little raunchy, but hear me out. It has been my understanding, and this comes from not actually reading the book, that no matter what sexual activity one wishes to engage in, the moment a man climaxes he must insert object A into object B and release. Ugh...come on! Really? I don't plan to ever just engage in vaginal to penis only sex. I don't. It isn't my goal, and it isn't my desire. That being said: I don't like this!!
    Why do I bring this up? Because, I do plan (maybe) to be in a committed relationship inside the sanctity of my faith, and I desire above all else to live according to the faith of which I chose. I didn't choose this faith blindly, so I knew going in what this entails. Granted, it wasn't an issue when I reverted, but it has become more and more of a thing since I have decided to seriously consider getting married. 
     After tonight's conversation, with a dear dear friend, I still don't have the clearest of pictures regarding these two subjects, but I feel as though I was given a modicum of reassurance that helps me to breathe a bit better. I hope she knows how much of a blessing she is to me...a struggling highly sexual being who wants to eventually/maybe enter into marriage. 
     This may be a little more than you ever wanted to know, but hey...we all struggle with things concerning our faith and our desire to live that faith as unabashedly as possible, so I think there is some universal truth...even if you aren't Catholic. But I am...so suck! Not suck it. More like...this kinda sucks. But yeah...I feel loads better after tonight. Thanks friend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...