Skip to main content

The strongest trigger

    The strongest trigger of memories is smell. The olfactory sense is connected to the parts of the brain, such as: amygdala and the hippocampus which are directly connected to emotion. While learning this in school, long time back, I couldn't quite believe that sight and sound were not stronger triggers. However, I was proven wrong one day I was with my family at the Long John Silvers. I had to use the bathroom, and as I opened the door, I was smacked with a smell I hadn't smelt in 11 years? And, in an instant, I was taken back to my father cleaning floors for the Catholic church in Plano, TX.
    As I was driving during lunch today, I had the window cracked, the wind was coming through slightly, the smell of rain was slightly on the wind, and the song Divine Romance came playing through my playlist. I was immediatly taken back to the time of Lent the year I came into the Church. A song, a smell, and the look of the clouds were fast transporting.
    So many things transport me back to memories of long past. Some smells, some sounds, some touches, some sights, some tastes...all ways that instantly bring smiles or tears. I have always been one to welcome a good memory, but sometimes the memories are not good. I was recently at a bar with some friends, and as I leaned over to smell the beer being drank by a friend it reminded me of his breath. It took me back to the moment I couldn't turn my head fast enough, and nothing disgusts me more than that moment I couldn't fight back.
    But, oh the good memories. The ones that give me reasons to smile from ear to ear. The memories that bring back his laughter and his voice. The memories that help me to experience that summer that the world was perfect. I welcome those. Those are worth all the memories of that rank breath. Because if I had to choose between taking the good with the bad, I would always take the bad so I could have the good.
    I think I got my love of smell from my father. Growing up my father never had for lack of good smelling things. He is a man who took pride in not only his looks, but also the way he smelled. We would gift him cologne for his birthday or Christmas...not usually a tie. I am the same. If I were to count the amount of good smelly things I have on my dresser the number would probably be upwards of 20? If only because I recognize the sentiment that smells bring. And, I have a smell for each mood I feel that I am in, and also for the season.
    This really isn't about a certain Armani or Escada perfume. This is about those memories that I have when I wear them. This isn't about the song or the look of the clouds as I was driving at lunch. This is about the feeling of elation and anticipation I felt well up inside of me as I remembered my impending confirmation. This isn't about his horrid breath. This is about me healing and overcoming the pain that came with it. Memories: so powerful and elusive...and yet so cherished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...