Skip to main content

Forgotten memories

   When you go through a painful time, there are always hurdles that you must jump over. Some come in the beginning of the pain; some come later. But, they are always there. Sometimes I wish that when we find bad news we could just come to all hurdles at once so the pain isn't as hard. It is like when my brother died. He died...then holidays, then birthdays, then me dating, then this then that...all were hurdles I had to jump.
    And, this week, I have hit another hurdle. It was hard losing the brown one. But, I realize I never lost him, we just changed. We had to change. We knew we had to. Then, the moment I found out he was moving on. Bam...hurdle! Fuck! I was somewhat prepared for it. Somewhat...
    "Just move on, Aly. Don't you see that it was going to happen. It was inevitable. It was going to happen. Why can't you get over it?" I am. I will. I will jump. I have to jump. Just...bear with me.
    My biggest fear is/was this: that the moments we shared (he and I) would cease to be important. They would cease to be something that he would care to remember. I don't want to become a forgotten memory. This isn't the case. They are memories, good memories, and they will always be ours. I know this. Again, I feel that disconnect between the head and the heart. I mentally know that things are okay, and this will be fine. My heart is hurt. My heart wants to rip itself out of my chest and scream running the other direction from reality.
    I can't do that. What I must do is move on. What I want to do is curl up in the fetal position. I can't do that. As I write this I feel a healing. I feel myself getting ready--gaining momentum to jump over that hurdle. It isn't like I fear the jump, it is more that I fear the hurdle itself...will she be as awesome as me? Will she care for him as I did/do? Will she connect with him as I did/do? Will she be better than me? Will I be able to fully let him go?
    Seriously?! I have these doubts?! I hope she cares for him as I do! I hope that she connects with him! I hope that she will be better for him than I was! I will fully let him go! I should and do want what is best for the brown one! I want them so desperately! I want him to be so happy that he can't think of anything else! And... I want to be around to see the smile that she brings to his face!
    So, I am going to jump. I am going to jump and clear the hurdle knowing that on the other side I will be met by his beautiful smile and him holding her hand. And I am going to smile. Because he deserves no less from me. From a best friend to another...he deserves the best. Gonna jump now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...