Skip to main content

#pornkillslove

    For the longest time, I was addicted to pornography. It was the only way I could connect sexually to the outside world. It started when I began watching porn at 13. It was a few years prior to this that I saw my first playgirl magazine. And, it wasn't that I was unaware of the implications of this explicit magazine, it was that I was unaware of the long term damage of it.
    I always felt a bit out of place. Granted, I could connect with any guy who wanted to talk about porn because I had seen it all. There wasn't a line I hadn't crossed. The more I watched--the more grotesque it got. But, I was the girl who was addicted to pornography. I always knew it was more taboo as a woman to have said addiction. Therefore, it was much easier to keep secret the problem.
    When I think back to what pornography has done for me, I can think of nothing more than a means to fuel the sense of urgency I found to be lacking in my daily love life. I was never one to openly speak of my relationships or lack thereof, but what you didn't see was the relationship I had implicitly with myself. I had at one point thought that I didn't need to connect intimately with a man because I had all I needed at my disposal. The older I got, the more I realized this wasn't the case.
     I am no virgin to masturbation. I am no virgin to the sexual acts that take place on any given free sex website. However, for the longest time, I was a virgin to what true sexual love was. They say sin has a root. They say that sin will not originate out of thin air, and they were right. I have been a slave to a sin that took hold long before I made an appearance on this earth. But, does this excuse me from the dangers or ramifications of said sin? No.
    It wasn't until I realized what true sexual love was, that I saw the sickness that came with pornography. How is it that we expect men to respect women in the area of the bedroom when all he sees is a man who wants his woman to be thin, big-breasted, and willing to perform fellatio at any moment and as long as he wants? How do we expect women to understand what true sex is if all she sees is the need to perform the way a man wants her to at any given moment and for as long as he wants? In my mind, I knew how to perfectly please a man because I had memorized all acts, noises, and pleasure zones. Or, so I thought...
    There are all types of porornography. There is something that will cater to any person with any desire. But, I speak about the most mainstream pornography: heterosexual misogyny. I do not write this to claim that radical sex is wrong, because I don't believe it is. It is about respecting sex for what it is meant to be: an act of selfless love. I have come to see that if we try to separate sex and love we have true emptiness. Not one time after seeking ultimate pleasure with pornography did it leave me fulfilled or satisfied. More times did I get fulfillment from connecting with a good friend, a family member or a lover with just good, intimate conversation.
    Just recently, I have seen a big jump in the area of speaking out against pornography. I have seen it all over Facebook and other social media sites. I even recently read an article about men who watch porn being unable to connect to a true human sexual relationships. Who actually wants to not be able to sexually connect with the person they hold at night in their bed? Who actually wants to not be able to perform a sexual act with the person they have given their life to? I admit this scares me a bit. Do I think I will be unable to connect sexually with my partner? Not yet...but if I were to continue with only connecting with an invisible couple having sex without me, I might.
    I think God wants me to be married. I think God wants me to be truly intimate with a man. I think God wants me to understand what true love and sex are, but continuing to explore the unrealistic life of the porn industry will not get me there. Here is to truly understanding that #pornkillslove

Comments

  1. What a brave thing to write! Thank you for your transparency. For years I've taught about sexual purity at retreats with my church, but over time I came to realize that we can't have sexual purity without allowing God to heal the hurts in our hearts that cause us to fall into sexual sin to begin with. Purity plus healing leads to sexual wholeness, which gives us the freedom to connect with our spouses and enjoy true intimacy. I know from experience that whatever damage sexual sin has caused to us can be undone. I'm so thankful that our God is One who heals and restores.

    P.S. I have no idea why I'm telling you this, except that I appreciate your honesty. I love your heart. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...