Skip to main content

"The End of the Affair"

   It has been awhile since I picked up a book, and as I lay in bed, last night, I realized just how sad that was. I remembered that I still had a box of books in the back of my car I picked up from my best friend's house several weeks prior. I thought I would rummage in the morning. I would venture to say that most of these books belonged to my brother. Some of titles included, Wise Blood" by Flannery O'Connor, "Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis, "Confessions" by St. Augustine, and one that I had never heard of, "The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene.
    Andrew had a love affair with Graham Greene. "The Power and the Glory," a book that Andrew brought home a year or so into his seminary course, was also written by Graham Greene. The premise: the civil war in Tabasco, Mexico in the 1930s. That was the setting. The plot: two priests, the "whiskey priest" and Padre Jose. But it was more than just two characters, it was about the demons that plague those who wear or wore the collar. I think Andrew wanted his demons to be accepted because he couldn't accept them alone.
    But, this isn't about that book. It is about the one I found in the back of my car. It was the second to last book I found in the somewhat large box, and the one that because of the title caught my eye. "The End of the Affair." This simply because Ben Howard has a title track on his new album with the same name. Well, of course I am going to read something by Graham Greene and Ben Howard with the same title! I would be considered foolish not to.
    Graham Greene writes in a dirty, raw form. With his opening line of, "A story has no beginning or end:..." lets me know that I am in for another novel with little to no comfort or respite from the gripping world of which we live today. And, as I continued to read, I had a thought, "Perhaps, there is a correlation between Ben Howard and Graham Greene." I did realize they are both from England, but in the end that really doesn't have to do much with anything, but it was a lead I was willing to take to find out.
    Sometimes, I underestimate the power of Google. I typed in two words: ben howard graham greene. And, my world burst forth in light. They exist together. Or, Graham Greene exists in the world of Ben Howard. How little faith did I put in the idea that this could even be a thing. When I clicked on the first article, I just imagined that someone like me who enjoys both and who recognized that they have art of the same title would correlate their work together. But, I was mistaken. It wasn't coincidence.
    I knew there must be something deeper here. I didn't want to get too excited, but I also felt like telling the world of what beauty I had just discovered. It was something I not only wanted to keep hidden in my heart I but also wanted to shout it as loud as possible. Before I got deeper into the correlation between the two, I decided to look into the plot of the book I just picked up. I knew I was only 2 chapters in, but I really needed to know if there was some true connection.
   The story is of a man who has an affair with another's wife. Seems fitting for the title. But, when she abruptly cuts off the affair, he is left without purpose or direction. He hires someone to follow her and find out if his jealous tendencies have an appropriate outlet or reason..that perhaps she is secretly loving another. Of course, she was seeing someone else...but he never thought it would be Him.
    The song suddenly had a whole new meaning. No longer was it just the end of a lover's affair for the sake of pain ensuing. It was the end of the lover's affair because God willed it. I am still only 7 short chapters into this book, and I anticipate the journey I go on with Greene in the next week or so. How funny that my music lover was greatly influenced by the "bad Catholic" that was Graham Greene. Perhaps I shouldn't be as giddy as I am, but I can't help. GAH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...