Skip to main content

The litany of the Saints

   When he asked if I could make it home without crying, I told him I could make no promises. I didn't cry. I held it until I was alone--then I broke...again. But, I couldn't seem to figure out why. For what reason were there tears streaming down my face and my breath being caught in my chest in the most painful way? I needed something...I needed focus. I needed peace.
    "Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner." Okay, not the peace I was looking for, but a good centering prayer. Keep searching. "Oh, my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee..." No, still not it. Act of contrition: a beautiful prayer, but keep searching. "Our Father, who art in heaven..." No. Something certain I needed. I needed the focus that those certain words could bring. Keep searching.
    "Well, sometimes my life just don't make sense at all. When the mountains seem so big, and my faith just seems so small. So hold me Jesus 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf. You have been King of my Glory won't You be my Prince of Peace!" YES! I found it! This is what I needed. It would be Rich that would soothe my heart as I prayed effortlessly for peace.
    Then I remembered that I wasn't alone. I didn't have to just ask Christ for His peace. I could ask Andrew to pray for me. I asked the Virgin Mother, St. Joseph, St. Catherine, St. Elizabeth, St. George, St. Andrew, St. Peter, St. Paul. St. Hildegard, St. Therese, St. Katherine, St. Felicity, St. Perpetua, St. Jude, St. Michael, St. Raphael, St. Jermone, St. Augustine, St. Ignatius, St. Benedict, St. Scholastica, St. Doiminic, St. Francis...
    I had almost forgot that I had the entirety of heaven at my disposal. I was so far from being alone that I could ask the greatest examples of Christ's love to pray on my behalf. I had Christ...but I also had the whole of heaven. It made me realize this: how easy it is to forget that we have the litany of the Saints, and how unalone we are.
    Sometimes, it is easy to be shut up in ourselves. It isn't that I am afraid to reach out...it is just a matter of who I can reach out to. The Saints. Always the Saints: those who breathe the very presence of God. Those that have proven to have overcome the daily turmoil that plagues and stresses us. These are the ones we have at our disposal.
    I woke with such peace this morning. I remember when Andy died, I was at a peace, and I truly couldn't understand why. How was it that when the greatest died...I could still function? Because of the peace that passes all understanding. I had it. I have it again. It was mine. It is mine again. And this morning, as I was getting ready for work, I had this thought, "How can I expect to do anything on my own, that when it falls apart it is then that I ask for God to come fix it?" If I can't do something with Him, how can I be expected to have Him come when it all falls apart? The sad part...is that He shouldn't have to. The beauty...is that He will. And He has come...
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...