Skip to main content

Alysse, he's dead

       I had every intention of writing out the worst day of my life, the day my brother died. But I can't. I am tired, and the thought completely exhausts me. It isn't that I am so against reliving that day, I do that everyday, but it is just that I can't at this moment. In 10 minutes, it will be the fourth year death day anniversary. It will be a day that will forever be engraved in the recesses of my mind. I will never be able to think of anything else on this day than the moment I screamed in the phone, "Just tell me! Is he dead!" Her response..."Yes." 
        It was a breathless, hopeless, lifeless, shattering moment. And I hate it. I still hate that moment. Granted, I am healing from that moment, but I don't think I will ever reconcile with it. I will never be able to understand what happened from one moment--as I was taking care of my client--till the next as I am screaming in the phone. I can't. 
        So, instead, I will share with you the poems that he and I exchanged. His was written to me because I told him he had never written a poem, and it is the greatest gift anyone has ever bestowed upon me. Sadly, I never wrote one for him while he walked this earth, but I gave it to him none-the-less.


Sister

"Will you take a friend, good sir?
A companion? Confidante?"

"Will you take a playmate, then?
Poker buddy? Chess opponent?"

"No? How about a business partner?
Associate? Accomplice?"

"A pal?
Drinking chum? Side kick?"

"You wish a debate fellow?"

"Philosopher?"

"Dreamer?"

I give up! What do you need?"

"Nothing, for I have a sister."
-Andrew Scott Dever

Sounds of Finality
She beats and beats and beats
her wings, her powerful wings.
Harder she beats
to fly…only to fall.
Only to fail.

Life, the wind,
works against her.
Instead of beneath
it pushes down.
Down and down and down--
until her wings are deemed useless.

She named them--
her wings:
Faith and Hope.
And she is Love.
One then the other
in tandem they serve Love well,
‘til now.
‘Til the moment he left her.

She is love because he loved her.
She is an angel because he was her saint.
His words were her thoughts.
His life--her wind,
‘til now.
‘Til the moment he left her.
Alone.

She has become transition;
in constant state of flux.
Her delight is now her delirium.
The wing, Faith, is now doubt.
The wing, Hope, is despair.
Love is indifferent.

So reality is black,
or gray…she can’t tell.
Perhaps nothing matters anymore.
It is being dead or being alive,
and it doesn’t matter.
It all seems non-existent to her.


“For how long, Time”?!
tick, tick, tick…
“For how long?”
And in her desperation--
she is quietly screaming
“…too long”!

She wakes--she walks--she sleeps.
She wakes--she walks--she sleeps.
She is repetition,
and it is killing her.
She is alone,
or perhaps just without him--
which is even worse.

So she hunts for him.
For her wind, her life, her saint,
she chases what was
and finds his tomb.
Guarded by another angel,
a stone replication of herself,
a constant reminder of her mortality.

Oh, to battle the perfect--
with her imperfect self.
To wage war with stone…against flesh;
constancy against fickleness
is to lose.

Then…“To what end?”
To forfeit.
He is watched with perfect grace,
and she has become his finite haunter.
So she sighs the final sound of defeat,
the sound of finality…
and she forfeits.

Thus she kneels--
she lays it down:
her doubt, her despair, her indifference.

She kisses him,
one last time--
blessing him with her broken tears,
and prays that he sleep with the angels
as she rises with the saints.
-Alysse Suzanne Dever

Comments

  1. My heart breaks to hear this, to read these words. Admittedly, I heard all of them in your brother's voice. I can still hear that ridiculous laugh of his. Infectious, even when you really, really didn't want to laugh. Hugs, sweet sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...