Skip to main content

The darkest Mass

       I would venture to say that most of the people I come in contact with on a regular basis have no idea what a Black Mass is, or maybe even Mass. But, if you have talked to me, then you probably know the latter. If you haven't ever heard of a Black Mass, you aren't alone. In fact, up until one was being planned for the Harvard campus, in early May, I hadn't either.
       So, what is a Black Mass? First, what is Mass? Mass is the daily coming together of Catholics to give worship to our Maker. It is where we honor the source and summit of our faith: the Eucharist (aka the body of Christ.) To have Mass there must be a consecration of the bread into the host, and it is a very sacred and old practice of reverence and worship. To Catholics, there is nothing more sacred than the Mass. 
       Black Mass is the exact opposite. It is the pure adulterated ritual of taking what we hold sacred and perverting it to the point of desecration. It is a blasphemous act of evil. It is not uncommon for these Masses to have stolen a consecrated host and use it in their ritual. 
       When I heard of this taking place at Harvard I was disgusted. When I found out a week or so ago that it is happening in our own state, I got furious! I am still completely appalled that this is being allowed to take place in a public forum. The Oklahoma Convention Center is to be hosting this Black Mass on September 21st. Even though our Archbishop Coakley and Bishop Slattery have spoken out vehemently against this heinous act, there has been no sign of it stopping.
        I can not stop someone from doing this to my religion. I can not stop someone from practicing something that spits on the very thing I hold most dear. But, I would like to think that a public forum would stand against this kind of aggressive behavior. If these people are wanting to pervert something for their own benefit, I can only pray that they have a change of heart. But when the state allows something like this to happen publicly, I just can't fathom it.
        Starting tomorrow, Bishop Slattery has called for a novena (a 9 day stint of prayer and fasting) to stand against this act of disgust. He asks that we abstain from meat for the nine days and in place of gluttonous acts (of which we are often accustomed) to say a decade of the rosary and ask St. Michael to intercede for us. 
        My priest mentioned something this weekend that struck me. If we slander or desecrate the Quran we are disciplined and rightly so! It is something that is sacred to another's faith. But, this is being allowed?! I can't understand. I am so disappointed in the state. It sickens me...
         I understand that most of my friends and family are not Catholic, but I ask that you stand behind us, as brothers and sisters in Christ, and pray that our divine Father will put a stop to this and that the minds of those in charge of this venue be changed. I don't ask that you abstain from meat, but if you think about me, or hear of this in the news...a simple prayer. And for those of you with no faith, who also disagree with the desecration of what one believes, please good thoughts. Everything is welcome.
         Be blessed...

The novena prayer:

In the Name of the Father ✠ and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

May Christ Our Lord deliver us from every evil, and defend us against this present danger.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed
is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at
the hour of our death. Amen. Ten times, concluding with:

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the
wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou,
Oh Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the
evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have mercy on us.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have mercy on us.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have mercy on us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...