Skip to main content

Happy Potter

       I am sure that most people on Facebook have read of the story that was of a young girl, 14 years of age, who lost her entire family early last month. In just a few short moments, her uncle killed her parents and her two brothers and sisters right in front of her, and the only reason why she survived is because she played dead. I can't even begin to imagine the pain this little girl is experiencing. The fact that her entire world was shattered and ripped to shreds is a completely realistic indication of how sick this world is.
        But, the reason I heard of this story, or that most people did, was because J.K. Rowling, author of Harry Potter, sent this girl a letter penned in the hand of Dumbledore, the second to last headmaster of Hogwarts. Why? Why did she do such a thing? Because this girl found solace in the one of the most epic quotes from that character, "Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, if one just remembers to turn on the light."
        Everyone who knows me is very aware of my love (okay, more like borderline obsession) with Harry Potter. At one point, I was told to stop reading these books (love you ma ;-) and being the rebel that I am didn't do that. Was that wrong? Perhaps. I apologize to my mother; however, I am so not sorry for falling in love with one of the most true and honest (fictional) stories this side of Holy Scripture. Mind you when I say that I am not saying Holy Scripture is fictional, I am just merely stating that this particular story holds much importance in my life. 
         Again, why? I am not going to write a post explaining Harry Potter. I say if you haven't read it, you are seriously cheating yourself out of a fantastic story. No, this post is about that quote and that little girl's faith in hope. None of us want to imagine our families being ripped from this earth as hers were, but we do. When we hear stories like this we take just a blip of a moment and imagine our world decimated like hers...and I am sure that we quickly imagine a little puppy romping in a field of daisies to get that previous thought out of our minds.
        So here is this 14 year old girl, at her families funeral, quoting a fictional character from a fictional book, and it obviously gave her enough hope and joy that she felt it was worth quoting. "Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, if one just remembers to turn on the light." Wow...All this girl can see is darkness, all she can see in front of her is blackness. She is searching and reaching for a modicum of hope, and she finds it here! I love this! This is the reason I have always spoke so highly of this particular story. It is a story of hope and love and friendship and good and the vanquishing of evil. All these topics maybe what get this little girl out of the blackness that surrounds her. And while she is wading through the pain, Rowling gives her a bit hope...a bit of love...a bit of friendship...a bit of good...a bit of evil being vanquished. Because in her world, all those good things have been stolen, and evil has prevailed. 
        I am so encouraged by this little girl, and so honored to be in the fandom of a woman who has written hope for many people. There will be good things for this little girl, and it might have just started with a letter penned by the greatest headmaster to ever grace Hogwarts's halls. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...