Skip to main content

Uncomplicated Joy

       It is one thing to attend Mass, but another entirely when you watch a dear friend be bound forever to Christ's Church. Today, I witnessed a marriage, but unlike the one last weekend, this one was between two men: Ryan Rojo and Christ Himself, and it was breathtaking. I could spend an entire blog about how dear this person is to me, and what he means to me and my family, but I won't. This isn't just about Ryan, this is also about "uncomplicated joy."
       Bishop Sis, the bishop of San Angelo, Texas, gave the homily at today's Mass, and although I was listening intently, his message ran through me and stopped with this one phrase: uncomplicated joy. If there were people around me looking in my direction when I heard that, I am sure they would have seen my eyes dilate and my jaw fall open. What the hell did this mean? What does it mean to have uncomplicated joy? Bishop Sis was speaking to Ryan about his newly marriage to the Church, and when he spoke life into this phrase I knew he was speaking to us, the Church.
        Uncomplicated: not complicated by something outside itself. Joy: a feeling of great happiness, success in doing, finding, or getting something. So, in a sense, this means that we get pleasure by doing something in a way that is entirely simple in nature. I LOVE THIS!! How often have I surpassed the simple to reach a complexity that just brings complications to my life? How often have I taken something of innocence and driven it mad by attaching my own version of perverseness. We are to strive for uncomplicated joy, a happiness that is simple.
         This is not only for the life of Deacon Ryan Rojo, but for all of us. It is a call to humility. It is a call to holiness, and we must answer. When Ryan is getting up each morning and looking into the mirror to say "Yes" to Christ's call, I plan to wake each morning with the intent to achieve uncomplicated joy. Grrr!! This is so awesome!
         And as I drove to the Rojo household being welcomed with open arms as a part of the family, I caught a glimpse of this joy. The authentic Mexican Mariachi band, the amazing homemade food (and tortillas...a personal fave), my new favorite cookie: biscochos, the countless blessings given by Deacon Ryan, the honest and true conversations, the dry Texas heat, the smiles and laughter of kids and adults were all testaments to this uncomplicated joy, and I wish to seek it in all things.
         Be blessed, Deacon Ryan Rojo...I still blame you for making me cry through the whole Mass. It was an honor to see you today, and know that more than the Saints were looking down on you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...

It's the underlying peace...

For some reason, dating my first boyfriend was hard. I was 21; he was 18. We were together for maybe 2 months. I am even reluctant to call him my boyfriend. Classic story of he wanted me; I was bored...voila. And not too long before I broke it off, I found myself in the sacristy talking to my then pastor. I was confused and hurt. I honestly can't even remember why. But he changed me that day.   He told me this: when he was discerning the priesthood two weeks prior to ordination, he struggled. He struggled so much he was beginning to believe his choice of vocation was wrong. His spiritual director at the time told him to pray. He told him to spend one solid week praying as though he was going to leave formation. Leaning all prayer toward that thought. Then, he told him to pray the next solid week as though he was going to stay and become the priest that he believed, at one point, he was supposed to be.   And as he prayed, he struggled. His mind wanted to wander and his desire...