Skip to main content

Scars

       I have this tiny remnant of a scar on the back of my left hand from a friend who put out a cigarette on me. It hurt. Bad. I will never forget that moment or that girl. And as I was looking at this scar, I noticed several others on my body. Some I remember, some I don't. But I was thinking less about the reason I got this cigarette scar, and more about the person I was at the time. 
       I wasn't necessarily a bad girl. In fact, people would probably call me a pretty good one. But, I had my moments. And looking down at this scar brought back all those "moments" into one continuous stream of not-so-good things. I have moved on from them, but I still have a reminder. 
       I remember I was playing softball, the summer of my 9th grade year, and as I hit the ball toward second base my best friend at the time was running from first to second. She had to slide into second to get on base. The second baseman jammed her cleat into her shin and pushed up all the muscle and tendon of her leg up into her knee. That was a bad scar. I don't carry that scar, but I carry the memory. When I was looking at my own scar, remembering about the cigarette girl who is no longer in my life, I thought about my old best friend who is also no longer in mine. But I will be. I will be because of that painful moment one summer night.
       Then I realized it isn't just about the scars that I carry on my body inflicted by me or someone else, it is also about the scars I inflict on others. How many scars do people carry that are directly associated with me somehow? How many did I create? Do these scares bring good memories or just bad ones entirely? Also...are they all visible?
       I would venture to say that my most dominate scars are the ones that are not seen. They are the ones that were created from what I call paradigm shifts. The moments that broke apart my foundation and split asunder my heart. But as they say, "Time heals all wounds." I believe it, but just because I am healed doesn't mean I don't carry remnants of that wound. Just like the back of my hand, I still see the evidence that it happened, I just don't feel the physical pain. 
      When I look at pictures of my family before my brother died and after, I see scars not just on skin. When I look at my dog's limp, I see that scars aren't just on humans. When I look at burnt earth, I see that scars aren't just for breathing things. I guess I just realize how indelible actions are...especially mine. 
       So, I want to apologize. If I have caused anyone a scar: visible or not...unless it was a good memory. Those I don't apologize for. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...