Skip to main content

38 years of dust

   It was a sacrament of dying to self. It was a sacrament of remembering mortality. It was a sacrament of giving up a singular identity and taking on the act of community. 38 years ago...today: my parents entered into marriage. They made a promise, no matter how on one side it might have been a fickle decision, they made it, and they stuck with it.
   It is a ritual of remembering that we are dust and to dust we shall return. It is a ritual of turning away from sin and returning to the gospel. Today, we celebrate Ash Wednesday: a ritual that allows us the chance to look at our mortality with the a defining lens so that we may examine our soul before Easter.
   How apropos that they should fall on the same day this year. When I think of marriage, often the idea of eternity abounds. When I think of Ash Wednesday, often the idea of mortality is present. But, they not only reflect each other, they compliment each other. We see eternity in our mortality. Make sense? My parents made the vow to spend their earthly eternity loving and respecting each other. When we take the mark of the ashes we are vowing to look at ourselves as mere mortals. Both are beautiful gifts of God's grace.
   I have to admit, and my parents can both attest to this, I have often been scared of the idea of marriage. As much as I love my parents, they haven't always been the best example of wedded bliss. In fact, it was much easier to say I didn't want to get married than to have a volatile marriage as they had. But, for some unknown grace of God, they are still together. Can I pinpoint the reason? Grace, mercy, complete forgiveness, sadness, abandonment, low self-worth, peace, hope...all these things, and more, probably had contribution to the reason they are still together.
   There are times when it pains me to remember the hard times my parents went through, but at the end of the day, I have to smile. These two people are genuinely human. They understand pain, suffering, and forgiveness more than most people that I know. And, even though I may not have had the best example of marriage...I had the best example of unabashed forgiveness and perseverance, and that is enough for me to desire the intimacy of marriage.
   I love Ash Wednesday. I love Lent. When I am asked what is my favorite holiday, it isn't Christmas or Thanksgiving or the 4th of July...it is Lent and then Easter. As I have gotten older, the idea of self-sacrifice becomes more and more appealing. Perhaps, because I tend to be a selfish person by nature, or at least I think I am, perhaps I am not. I do have my tendencies. But, more importantly, as I have grown closer with my faith, anytime that I can spend in observance of the sacrifice Christ has made on my behalf the more passionate the journey.
   Today, I get to celebrate a sacred sacrament of marriage and the sacrificial moment Christ encountered his true humanity: in the desert. I am blessed. I am blessed because of my parents and because of my Savior. Here is to 38 years of marriage between two humans who recognize their eternal mortality, and a night where my mortality becomes celebrated instead of feared.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

Owen's Tiger & Mom's last stitch

     I always wanted my kids to have the "cool" stuffed animal. I wanted them to be the odd one out. So, when Owen was born I bought him a stuffed fried egg, a stuffed ravioli, a cool dragon, and a neat narwhal. Needless to say, he didn't really take to any of those. And he didn't really have a favorite stuffed animal until he turned 1. To this day, we still don't know where he got this thing. It's a nerdy little tiger, with a ribbon bow under its chin, that goes everywhere. In fact, if he leaves him at home on "accident" we say tiger stayed home to take a nap because he was tired.     I don't think Owen realized that his father's favorite animal was the tiger; I think this stuffed animal just showed up around his birthday, and he started asking for it. It seems to me that most kids have some "comfy" habit...sucking thumbs, sucking a pacifier, twirling hair, carrying around a blanket or a stuffy. Owen is no different. Except, it isn

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be