Skip to main content

Is it because I am ovulating?

   When I have times I can't seem to understand why I am emotional or why I am feeling a certain way that has no bearing on they way I have been, I check my calendar. Because there might be a chance I am in the middle of my ovulation cycle. This is not something I know, but a little app has helped on more than one occasion to help figure out just why random emotions are deciding to invade my life.
    I could sit here and write out all the things that are racing through my mind, and then tell you I am ovulating...some might think then that what I feel or think should be unwarranted. But, that is unfair and unkind. I deserve these emotions...I deserve what comes with them. So, what are they?
    We kissed. Okay, we kissed a lot. And it was familiar. I had experienced this before. I had felt his lips before...but it had been a long while. And, even though I didn't want it to stop, it wasn't exactly what was on my agenda for the evening. He was...he had been on my agenda for the last 12 days out of 2 weeks, but not necessarily like this. I didn't and don't want to end up in the same position I found myself with him oh so long ago.
    However, I don't believe that will be the case. I honestly think that he and I will end up differently than before. So, where is that? Who the fuck knows. But, I am not running around looking for the "A & J" finish line. I figure if we are meant to continue to be in each other's lives then it will happen. He and I are much different people than we were the first time around. Yes, I will admit that his kisses are familiar and were missed. His attention to details were long shut away but brought back and celebrated.
     This time...as I told him I was scared he might run away again leaving me to take said feelings and lock them up placing them on the shelves ONCE AGAIN, he said it was us--and he wasn't going anywhere. Sure, I trust that. Things are different. We are different. There is one thing I refuse to do this time or anytime again...be a secret. Be a kissed lover in the shadows of the house and a friend in the daylight of the world. Be a confidante in most things but not in the most important things. Be a distraction from the fact that one day they will have to grow up--but not right now--and I can help pretend that that day doesn't exist. Be an after-thought. Be anything but what I deserve.
    Now, wait! Before anyone thinks that this was or is the relationship I have with J you must not believe so...because it is isn't/wasn't. Or, at least most of it wasn't/isn't. What this is is a litany of things I can't do for another again. The last year and a half have been spent building my own dignity and having parts of it chipped away. But, I can't settle or allow myself to be anyone but me again. I refuse to be molded into a shape that completely disregards what I hope, believe, or think. I happen to think that this time around...I will have no worries.
    All these things are important, all these things I deserve and will have. All these things I will graciously return to the other person who holds my heart. And I will believe these things to be true even after Monday when I stop ovulating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

Owen's Tiger & Mom's last stitch

     I always wanted my kids to have the "cool" stuffed animal. I wanted them to be the odd one out. So, when Owen was born I bought him a stuffed fried egg, a stuffed ravioli, a cool dragon, and a neat narwhal. Needless to say, he didn't really take to any of those. And he didn't really have a favorite stuffed animal until he turned 1. To this day, we still don't know where he got this thing. It's a nerdy little tiger, with a ribbon bow under its chin, that goes everywhere. In fact, if he leaves him at home on "accident" we say tiger stayed home to take a nap because he was tired.     I don't think Owen realized that his father's favorite animal was the tiger; I think this stuffed animal just showed up around his birthday, and he started asking for it. It seems to me that most kids have some "comfy" habit...sucking thumbs, sucking a pacifier, twirling hair, carrying around a blanket or a stuffy. Owen is no different. Except, it isn

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be