Skip to main content

"The End of the Affair"

   It has been awhile since I picked up a book, and as I lay in bed, last night, I realized just how sad that was. I remembered that I still had a box of books in the back of my car I picked up from my best friend's house several weeks prior. I thought I would rummage in the morning. I would venture to say that most of these books belonged to my brother. Some of titles included, Wise Blood" by Flannery O'Connor, "Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis, "Confessions" by St. Augustine, and one that I had never heard of, "The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene.
    Andrew had a love affair with Graham Greene. "The Power and the Glory," a book that Andrew brought home a year or so into his seminary course, was also written by Graham Greene. The premise: the civil war in Tabasco, Mexico in the 1930s. That was the setting. The plot: two priests, the "whiskey priest" and Padre Jose. But it was more than just two characters, it was about the demons that plague those who wear or wore the collar. I think Andrew wanted his demons to be accepted because he couldn't accept them alone.
    But, this isn't about that book. It is about the one I found in the back of my car. It was the second to last book I found in the somewhat large box, and the one that because of the title caught my eye. "The End of the Affair." This simply because Ben Howard has a title track on his new album with the same name. Well, of course I am going to read something by Graham Greene and Ben Howard with the same title! I would be considered foolish not to.
    Graham Greene writes in a dirty, raw form. With his opening line of, "A story has no beginning or end:..." lets me know that I am in for another novel with little to no comfort or respite from the gripping world of which we live today. And, as I continued to read, I had a thought, "Perhaps, there is a correlation between Ben Howard and Graham Greene." I did realize they are both from England, but in the end that really doesn't have to do much with anything, but it was a lead I was willing to take to find out.
    Sometimes, I underestimate the power of Google. I typed in two words: ben howard graham greene. And, my world burst forth in light. They exist together. Or, Graham Greene exists in the world of Ben Howard. How little faith did I put in the idea that this could even be a thing. When I clicked on the first article, I just imagined that someone like me who enjoys both and who recognized that they have art of the same title would correlate their work together. But, I was mistaken. It wasn't coincidence.
    I knew there must be something deeper here. I didn't want to get too excited, but I also felt like telling the world of what beauty I had just discovered. It was something I not only wanted to keep hidden in my heart I but also wanted to shout it as loud as possible. Before I got deeper into the correlation between the two, I decided to look into the plot of the book I just picked up. I knew I was only 2 chapters in, but I really needed to know if there was some true connection.
   The story is of a man who has an affair with another's wife. Seems fitting for the title. But, when she abruptly cuts off the affair, he is left without purpose or direction. He hires someone to follow her and find out if his jealous tendencies have an appropriate outlet or reason..that perhaps she is secretly loving another. Of course, she was seeing someone else...but he never thought it would be Him.
    The song suddenly had a whole new meaning. No longer was it just the end of a lover's affair for the sake of pain ensuing. It was the end of the lover's affair because God willed it. I am still only 7 short chapters into this book, and I anticipate the journey I go on with Greene in the next week or so. How funny that my music lover was greatly influenced by the "bad Catholic" that was Graham Greene. Perhaps I shouldn't be as giddy as I am, but I can't help. GAH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

A motherless Mother's Day

   It was always an easy gift to get...yellow roses, some wonderful chocolates, a charcuterie assortment, a pedicure for the both us, and time spent together. The time was her favorite. But, this year, no yellow roses, no chocolates, no charcuterie assortment, no pedicure, and most felt...no time spent together.    I can't say I have been looking forward to this day. But, it came anyway. In 37 years, I didn't think I would be motherless so soon in life. It's been 8 months, 37 weeks, 262 days, and 6,294 hours since she left me motherless. Just 2 weeks after Claire was born...she left.    My husband, children, wonderful friends, and father have gone out of their way to make this day a bit more bright. Thinking of me a little more today. Not because I am a mother, but because I no longer have mine.   But lately, when I think about her, I get angry. Not necessarily angry at her-she would have fought tooth and nail to stay, but angry nonetheless. Why? Maybe for leaving at all. M

Owen's Tiger & Mom's last stitch

     I always wanted my kids to have the "cool" stuffed animal. I wanted them to be the odd one out. So, when Owen was born I bought him a stuffed fried egg, a stuffed ravioli, a cool dragon, and a neat narwhal. Needless to say, he didn't really take to any of those. And he didn't really have a favorite stuffed animal until he turned 1. To this day, we still don't know where he got this thing. It's a nerdy little tiger, with a ribbon bow under its chin, that goes everywhere. In fact, if he leaves him at home on "accident" we say tiger stayed home to take a nap because he was tired.     I don't think Owen realized that his father's favorite animal was the tiger; I think this stuffed animal just showed up around his birthday, and he started asking for it. It seems to me that most kids have some "comfy" habit...sucking thumbs, sucking a pacifier, twirling hair, carrying around a blanket or a stuffy. Owen is no different. Except, it isn