Skip to main content

Forgotten memories

   When you go through a painful time, there are always hurdles that you must jump over. Some come in the beginning of the pain; some come later. But, they are always there. Sometimes I wish that when we find bad news we could just come to all hurdles at once so the pain isn't as hard. It is like when my brother died. He died...then holidays, then birthdays, then me dating, then this then that...all were hurdles I had to jump.
    And, this week, I have hit another hurdle. It was hard losing the brown one. But, I realize I never lost him, we just changed. We had to change. We knew we had to. Then, the moment I found out he was moving on. Bam...hurdle! Fuck! I was somewhat prepared for it. Somewhat...
    "Just move on, Aly. Don't you see that it was going to happen. It was inevitable. It was going to happen. Why can't you get over it?" I am. I will. I will jump. I have to jump. Just...bear with me.
    My biggest fear is/was this: that the moments we shared (he and I) would cease to be important. They would cease to be something that he would care to remember. I don't want to become a forgotten memory. This isn't the case. They are memories, good memories, and they will always be ours. I know this. Again, I feel that disconnect between the head and the heart. I mentally know that things are okay, and this will be fine. My heart is hurt. My heart wants to rip itself out of my chest and scream running the other direction from reality.
    I can't do that. What I must do is move on. What I want to do is curl up in the fetal position. I can't do that. As I write this I feel a healing. I feel myself getting ready--gaining momentum to jump over that hurdle. It isn't like I fear the jump, it is more that I fear the hurdle itself...will she be as awesome as me? Will she care for him as I did/do? Will she connect with him as I did/do? Will she be better than me? Will I be able to fully let him go?
    Seriously?! I have these doubts?! I hope she cares for him as I do! I hope that she connects with him! I hope that she will be better for him than I was! I will fully let him go! I should and do want what is best for the brown one! I want them so desperately! I want him to be so happy that he can't think of anything else! And... I want to be around to see the smile that she brings to his face!
    So, I am going to jump. I am going to jump and clear the hurdle knowing that on the other side I will be met by his beautiful smile and him holding her hand. And I am going to smile. Because he deserves no less from me. From a best friend to another...he deserves the best. Gonna jump now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

Owen's Tiger & Mom's last stitch

     I always wanted my kids to have the "cool" stuffed animal. I wanted them to be the odd one out. So, when Owen was born I bought him a stuffed fried egg, a stuffed ravioli, a cool dragon, and a neat narwhal. Needless to say, he didn't really take to any of those. And he didn't really have a favorite stuffed animal until he turned 1. To this day, we still don't know where he got this thing. It's a nerdy little tiger, with a ribbon bow under its chin, that goes everywhere. In fact, if he leaves him at home on "accident" we say tiger stayed home to take a nap because he was tired.     I don't think Owen realized that his father's favorite animal was the tiger; I think this stuffed animal just showed up around his birthday, and he started asking for it. It seems to me that most kids have some "comfy" habit...sucking thumbs, sucking a pacifier, twirling hair, carrying around a blanket or a stuffy. Owen is no different. Except, it isn

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be