Skip to main content

Football and fireball

   The Patriots had been down for pretty much the entirety of the Super Bowl XLIX. The Seahawks, as I had heard from some were favored to win, but isn't there always a favored to win? And then the play...the last 2 minutes of the game and then the last few moments: sealed the win for the Patriots. Winning...28-21. I didn't watch it.
     But, I didn't have to. I have heard and read countless accounts from people all over the country tweeting, posting, and talking about the game and all the highlights. Did I remember all of them? No. I know who won, but I don't and won't remember all of the details. I even heard about the appearance of Missy Elliot at the "awesome" half-time show. I didn't watch it.
     His head was bowed, but you could tell he had been hurt. I think that he was wearing orange to make a statement to others around the world. I doubt he had a choice on colour or statement. He was led to a cage of sorts, the kind you put animals in for public viewing or for feeding. The jumpsuit was wet like maybe he just took a dip in the pool to cool off from the desert heat. A flame was lit...it crawled toward him, the human--caged animal-- it engulfed him. He gripped his head and screamed something unimaginable. I didn't watch it.
     But, I didn't have to. I have heard and read countless accounts from people on the news posting and talking about the execution of Moaz al-Kasasbeh and all the details. I even heard about the retaliation of the Jordanians executing two hostages. I didn't watch it.
     Driving home yesterday, I was listening to talk radio, and the idea of escapism came up. The argument was this: "If you ask the majority of mainstream Americans who won the Super Bowl they could easily tell you. If you ask what just recently happened with ISIS and Jordan, they will say, "What is ISIS?'" It isn't that we are escaping from reality when we focus on the Super Bowl, it is that we don't know what we are escaping from.
    If we constantly decide to disengage ourselves from the things of the world, we are bound to not understand why the world is as broken as it is. How sad that the thing we turn to first is a video of a cat playing with a ball of yarn thinking that all that matters in the world is our little niche and that damn cat. People are being burned alive, beheaded, and massacred for the sake of some misinterpretation of religion.
    But, we must be careful. We must because then we follow mainstream media only to believe that the sensationalized Islam that we see is the Islam of everyone. Would it make a difference if we knew that the Jordanian who was burned knew the Q'uran by heart? Would it make a difference if we knew that ISIS rarely if ever carries or follows what is in the Q'uran?
    This post isn't about whether all Moslems are terrorists. Because if you still believe that nonsense you deserve a grandiose wake-up call. This is about learning to escape for the sake of escapism. It isn't about condemning a nation that watches the Super Bowl and cat videos to escape. It is about condemning a nation that refuses to open her eyes and see that there is something worth escaping from, but not forever, and certainly not out of ignorance.
     To the men, women, and children, around the world, who are being lied to for the sake of believing in some distortion of faith...peace. To the men, women, and children, around the world, who are being murdered for the sake of just existing inappropriately according to some heinous terror group...peace. To the men, women, and children, around the world...peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A goodbye love letter to you...

  I sat across from my dad at lunch, yesterday, and asked him, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" He said, "Yeah. 1 year." And his eyes grew damp. "I'll never forget walking into that room..." He didn't continue. I didn't ask him to. "I'll never forget the police officer banging on my door at 1130 at night..." I didn't continue. He didn't ask me to.  "This journal was given to me several years ago by my children. I know they wanted me to write down my thoughts to get through the rough times I was going through at the time. I did not start this at that time. Why am I starting it now? Well, I only thought I had been through hell back then, but now I realize I didn't have any idea what heartache was until Aug 15, 2010 -"   This is the beginning of one of my mother's journals. A journal she started a little over a month after Andy died. And she wrote it--to him.  "Dear Mother - Today is the day before Mothe

Owen's Tiger & Mom's last stitch

     I always wanted my kids to have the "cool" stuffed animal. I wanted them to be the odd one out. So, when Owen was born I bought him a stuffed fried egg, a stuffed ravioli, a cool dragon, and a neat narwhal. Needless to say, he didn't really take to any of those. And he didn't really have a favorite stuffed animal until he turned 1. To this day, we still don't know where he got this thing. It's a nerdy little tiger, with a ribbon bow under its chin, that goes everywhere. In fact, if he leaves him at home on "accident" we say tiger stayed home to take a nap because he was tired.     I don't think Owen realized that his father's favorite animal was the tiger; I think this stuffed animal just showed up around his birthday, and he started asking for it. It seems to me that most kids have some "comfy" habit...sucking thumbs, sucking a pacifier, twirling hair, carrying around a blanket or a stuffy. Owen is no different. Except, it isn

Arithmetic of Purpose

   By nature, humans will, at one point in their life, ask the question, "For what purpose? Why am I here? What am I meant to do?" Okay, maybe they will ask themselves more than 1 question...but at least around the same theme. "Who am I, and why am I here?" It is built in our very DNA. Growing up, I didn't ask this often. I had a loving family who went with the current. Who I was and why I was here was bound up in my place in my family of 4. I was comfy. I was loved. I was secure. But alas...the question presented itself.   I first asked myself this question walking down the streets of Rome. I was alone, I was 21, and I was lost. I had just finished AmeriCorps and felt like I wanted something, but wasn't sure what that was. I had found my faith, at last, and realized that perhaps I wanted to be a bigger part of the Church collective. I felt meaning to my nothingness. I went home with direction. I graduated from college, finally, and started grad school to be