Skip to main content

Happy birthday, beloved


   
   
  I laid the bright yellow blanket on the ground not wanting to get my pants wet from the melting snow. I had my pack of smokes, cold cup of coffee, and the sacred silence. So, I sat. In compete sacred silence, I sat. But what to say?
    If I believed that he hasn't been with me every day, I never would have left the day we interned him. If I believed that he was the remains that lie beneath the earth, I would have spent my afternoon digging the cold ground only to pick up that black box forever then to be carried around. But, he isn't there. He is as close as breathing, and he always will be till the day I see his prefect smile again.
    You see, getting older wasn't in his plans. From this day, 34 years ago, till now he will always only be 29. He will be 29 and perfect. Today is Andy's birthday. This day a chubby, bald, imperfect baby was born who grew to be a handsome, caring, imperfect man who lived and loved with almost as much perfection as any human can love. "When he spoke of you, it was with such admiration."
    My parent's greatest gift to me, after giving me life and love, was the gift of my brother. And, although today we celebrate his birthday, I can't help but celebrate love. The love I received from him was so unwarranted but never given with anything less than his everything.
    As I sat there in my silence, I couldn't seem to find anything to say. But, it was a comfortable and completely adequate silence. It was us...meeting in the place we laid his body. We promised to meet tonight at home, tomorrow at work, and every day and every where til we hold each other again.
              "Happy birthday, beloved."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Weeping Willow

  "The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows—a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose." —  Frank Herbert, Dune   Time, although a very evasive concept, is in each moment a gift. And most often, I don't stop to look back at the road I have traveled on. Even more so, the road Justin and I have travelled together. But today it is warranted. Today marks 9 years as husband and wife, and 9 years of truly some amazing and adverse moments. We have lost the most cherished and birthed the most loved all the while interwoven with each other.    I will be the first to admit that our day to day appears to some: mundane. However, inside the ordinary he and I together have understood the profundity of love. It is brash and loud, but it is also cautious and quiet.  "Love is a many splendored thing."  It is the true basis of community, and I am proud of the community we have built.   The  willow  is the t...

Being his girlfriend

"Are you happy being my girlfriend?" He asks. In all seriousness. In all honesty. He asks. Never once have I been asked such a damned difficult question. Never once have I been asked that slight simple question. Never once have I been asked THAT question.   Immediately, my head goes a thousand different directions. I want to give him the most honest answer. But lately I feel as though I am trying to quantity my happiness. Yes. I. Am. Happy. But what is happiness? Am I? Can I honestly say that I am happy? I don't know.   Before I make an ass out of myself, I must say this: not one time in the history of Aly and men has she ever felt like her significant other was shelter. You know that line from Finding Nemo where Dory says to Marlin, "When I look at you, I remember. When I look at you, I am home." That's the way I feel when I am in his arms. Home. Perhaps it best not to tell him such a bold thought, but it's true.   Back to this question. Am I happy b...

The Breath of Life

   "I c-c-c-can't stop shaking." "Oh, that is normal," he said as he looked down at me before he peered back over the blue medical sheet in front of my face. I couldn't. I just couldn't stop the incessant shaking. The moment of welcoming my son had played out in my head everyday for the last 10 months, and I promise, this was NOT it.   We arrived 30 hours prior, and my utopistic idea of induction had not come true.    "There are only a few reasons we would revert to a cesarean section... 1. He is under stress. 2. I am under stress. 3. He isn't progressing after some time, but chances are we won't get there."    So, after 22 hours of quite intense labor, I found myself being prepped for a c-section. I'll be the first to admit, my words of, "We will do what we have to do to have a healthy baby," seemed so far gone now. I wasn't sure emotionally how I had gotten this far, or even how I would get further.   "We are go...